Name: Angie Logan
Previous Weight In March 2006: 190 lbs
Previous size: 16
Current weight: 120 lbs
Current size: 4
Why I Got Started
Like a lot of women I started gaining weight in college and the weight just multiplied over the course of three pregnancies within a 5-year period. I wanted my old self back! I used excuse after excuse over the years to not start a healthy lifestyle: school, work, and kids. It's just easy to sit around get fat and become unhealthy.
After my third child I said "That's it! My time is here! I have 3 wonderful children but not enough energy to do the things I want to do with them." I bought a treadmill and walked as fast as my body could for 25 minutes a day 4 days per week. Combining exercise and a healthy diet, the pounds started melting away. I was hooked! I was going to take my life back and not let food rule me!
How I Did It
I started out with low intensity walks on the treadmill. I began researching Bodybuilding.com and about three months into it I purchased some inexpensive weight lifting equipment and started working out at home.
I found inspiration and motivation by reading the many female transformations and continued to research Bodybuilding.com forums and articles for new exercises and dieting tips. I modified my training program the fourth month to include high intensity interval training (HIIT) and began a structured strength training program with a clean and balanced diet.
My mini gym consists of an Olympic power rack, utility bench, vertical leg press and dumbbells.
- Squats: 4 sets of 10
- Leg Extensions: 4 pyramid sets of 12, 10, 8, 6; with increasing weight
- Calf Presses: 4 sets to failure
- Bench Press
- Incline Dumbbell Press
- Inclined Dumbbell Fly
- Alternating Dumbbell Curls
- EZ Bar Bicep Curls
- Kickbacks: 4 sets of 12
- Rope Pulldowns: 4 sets of 12
- Skull Crushers: 4 sets of 12
Primarily whole wheat, complex carbohydrates. My primary fat sources include almonds, peanuts, fish and olive oil. Protein sources include lean meats and whey protein supplements.
- Quaker Weight Control Instant Oatmeal
- 1 egg and 2 egg whites
- Protein shake/ or homemade protein muffins Small fruit/ or no sugar added yogurt
- Choice of 4-6 oz chicken, 2/3 can tuna, lean ham or lean turkey
- 1-2 slices of 100% whole wheat bread
- Serving of vegetables
- Protein shake/or homemade protein muffins Small fruit Or protein meal replacement bar
- Lean red meat, chicken, or fish
- Salad or steamed vegetables
- 1/2 -1 serving whole grain brown rice or slice whole wheat bread
- Protein shake or whole wheat snack food
Advice To Others
Keep a journal of your diet and progress in the gym. If you decide to cheat, do it and just keep going on a healthy tract the next day. I truly believe cooking more has contributed significantly to my weight loss.
If you work or find it hard to cook everyday, you can prepare your meals in advance. For example, I cook up a few pounds of chicken and make chicken salad for lunch the next day. If you have a sweet tooth, be sure to keep a power muffin/ bar on hand just in case there are donuts in the break room at work in the morning!