In the world of bodybuilding and fitness, you must be driven to succeed. If you are a competitor, you must be driven to stick to the diet, run every last second against the cardio clock, and pump out every fatigued rep in the weight room.
If you run a sports nutrition company, you must be driven to go the extra mile. You test the products, do the necessary research, and ensure that what you put out there for customers will help them reach the goals they are so passionate about.
Driven Sports: What's a better name for a supplement company? Driven Sports has helped its customers stay on the long road to fitness since opening its doors in 2008. The upstart company is competitive in the supplement market and its customers show their support by staying loyal to their favorite brand.
The gang at DS beats its own drum and makes it own trends in the industry. We talked to VP of Operations Matt Cahill about the brand and its future.
Driven Sports was started in late 2008 with the goal of delivering the most scientifically-advanced supplement formulas, designed with the highest-quality ingredients available. Our formulas are heavily supported with numerous peer-reviewed scientific articles.
Each formula goes through multiple rounds of testing, including independent labs for identity and purity of the ingredients. Recently, we started conducting independent clinical testing on the finished products to confirm all of our in-house testing data (blood work, etc).
As consumers, we were largely unimpressed with what the industry had to offer. There are only so many ways you can present glutamine or hype-up tribulus, and we saw the opportunity to truly revolutionize the product categories with the most potential.
We consider our products "niche" not only because they are novel in design, but because they work. We are not the company that will have a handful of "me too" generic products. When we release a product, we believe it to be the best in the industry.
Our loyal customers. They saw what we were offering, agreed with the science behind the product formulas, and gave us a shot. These are the folks who continue to buy our products on a regular basis in order to reach their goals. And, of course, we would also extend thanks to some of the amazing people at Bodybuilding.com for providing us with a fantastic platform to publicize our company and products. We have a great relationship which we are progressively reinforcing, which can mean only great things for our customers!
As noted earlier, we don't do generic products, so our product line is fairly small. In other words, while we don't have quantity, we certainly have quality. Our top product currently is our latest product, the pre-workout booster Craze™. From first view it may look like any other concentrated pre-workout product, but that could not be further from the truth. Craze™ is an entirely new paradigm for pre-workout nutrition. Rather than simply trying to make you jittery or forcing a pump, Craze™ aims to give you the best workouts possible. It is our belief that if you have a great workout, you will get a great pump. Everything else (speed, endurance, strength, muscle growth, etc.) will fall in to place if you continually have great workouts. This is what makes Craze™ such a valuable tool.
We have been working on a new fat burner for well over a year now, but we are yet to establish a firm release date for it. We aren't in any rush, though; we'd rather do it right than do it now. We are also looking at designs for an intra-workout formula that would complement Craze™ perfectly. However, unless we come up with something that we consider revolutionary for the industry in that category, we simply will not release it.
As of right now, we have no athletes and currently have no plans to change that. We will never say never, but fundamentally we are interested in science representing our products. By taking this direction we hope to help educate our customers, rather than dupe them with absurd claims or unrealistic expectations.
It honestly depends. If someone is just starting out, then we recommend they learn the basics of training and nutrition first and foremost. Dietary supplements should be utilized purely to supplement these two, rather than in lieu of. In this particular case, we actually recommend a good essential fats product like NOW Foods Fish Oil, or a quality protein like Bodybuilding.com Supplements 100% Whey Power. If that person has some prior experience and is on the right track training and diet-wise, then it comes down to their goals. Fundamentally, however, anyone can benefit from using Craze™ prior to their workouts whether they are cutting, bulking, or training for a sports-specific event.
The best thing about the supplement industry is that it is a way for people to benefit their health and accelerate their progress. The fact that more and more people are paying attention to their health and trying to better it can only be a good thing. As for the worst thing, that would have to be the outlandish claims made in advertising and the lack of science backing most products.
You can follow Driven Sports on a day-to-day basis through our Facebook and Twitter pages, which is where we will first announce our latest developments. We also have a blog on our website that features articles on the latest scientific findings that can help better your body.
I'd be happy to tell you. In fact, I'd be happy to show you!
The Life of a Driven Sports Supplement
Research & Development
- We identify a particular biochemical pathway in the body we want to manipulate to provide desired results (fat loss, muscle growth, etc.).
- We scour research to identify any natural ingredients that affect this pathway.
- We come across new (or forgotten) research that shows how a natural ingredient posiively affects a biochemical pathway.
- Do further research on the findings and all other effects (positive or negative) of the ingredient(s) to see if they have potential as a dietary supplement.
- Assuming no negative effects, we look into safety data for the ingredient in both animals and humans.
- Our Board-certified Endocrinologist reviews all studies pertaining to the safety of all ingredients and potential formulas.
- Checks are made to ensure the ingredients(s) meet the criteria of a dietary supplement, as per the Dietary Supplement Health and Education Act of 1994 (DSHEA).
- Samples of material are ordered for laboratory testing. In some cases, multiple labs are used to test the same ingredient.
- Alpha testing begins on samples that pass quality and purity regulations in order to assess the "real-life" effects in humans. Oftentimes, an ingredient that looks phenomenal on paper does little in real-life.
- New ingredients are tested by the team as part of overall formulas to ensure they work in synergy.
Cost Analysis/Feasibility Checks
- Ingredients are sourced and a document created to determine the expected costs of production based on formula design. This can be a critical point of the project as many excellent ingredients are simply too expensive to currently manufacture.
Any single step so far could lead to a dead-end and project cancellation.
- A plan is devised to establish an expected release date.
- Discussions begin for the potential names of the product.
- Lawyers review final label concepts, trademarks are filed, etc.
- All non-formula product components such as bottles, lids, capsules, flavor kits, etc. are ordered.
- The full marketing plan is planned and projected.
- Any website changes are discussed, ad work developed, and then everything is reviewed.
- All raw materials sourced are sampled, then sent to an independent lab where they are tested for identity, purity, strength, composition, and limits on contamination. While this step is highly unlikely to lead to a project cancellation, it can lead to a project delay.
- Raw materials are blended, capped or flavored, and then bottled in an NSF GMP for Sport Certified Facility in the USA.
- Randomly sampled finished bottles are then sent to an independent lab to confirm the product meets final specifications for identity, purity, strength, composition, and for limits on contamination.
- Final product is shipped out to retailers like Bodybuilding.com, who then ship it directly to your door step!
What Customers Are Saying About Driven Sports
Companies make claims and critics post opinions, but at the end of the day, if your customers aren't happy and speaking out about how your products work, then you may not last long in the sports nutrition industry.
At Bodybuilding.com, customers post reviews and express their own opinions. Potential customers have instant feedback to help them make a rational decision on how to spend their hard-earned money. Check out what the loyal Bodybuilding.com customers are saying about their favorite Driven Sports products.
Ranked 9 out of 10
"This is my first night taking Craze, and it's pretty awesome! I like that it has me feeling motivated and amped, but NOT jittery. I noticed my focus was greater with Craze than some of the other pre-workout boosters I've tried. Get some!"
"Man, does this stuff really work. Took 1 1/2 scoops 30 minutes before my workout, and this really increased my overall performance. My focus was scary good and my mood shot thru the roof. A little bit of euphoria too, which is awesome! Anyone looking to buy this jump on it now. It's the best pre-workout supplement out there."
Ranked 8.7 out of 10
"This is great. I am always in a GREAT mood and my workouts are the best they have ever been. I'm gaining strength every week. Have been taking it for 10 days and feeling results. Every workout gets more intense and I have been pushing myself like never before. I'm not that big or strong, but I gained ridiculous confidence inside and outside of the gym."
"I feel awesome when I take Triazole. This is my second bottle in the last 6 months and I forgot how good it is. Better sleep, increase in sex drive and strength. What more could you ask for?"
Ranked 8.9 out of 10
"This is one of the best testosterone boosters I have taken. I love stacking this product with Triazole to really boost everything I am doing in and out of the gym. I really like DS test boosters because when the cycle is done, I go back to normal, and have ZERO coming off effects. Strength gains even still feel like I never lose them!"
"This is the first testosterone booster I've ever tried. I've been on it for 2 weeks and have already noticed results. I feel like an animal in the gym, sleep great at night, and feel refreshed when I wake up even after a minimal amount of sleep. The label warned about aggression, but I actually feel calmer right after I take it and I've been in a generally better mood. I am already seeing a little bit more bulk in my chest and a little more firmness in my muscle tone overall."