It has been 19 tough long weeks of contest dieting and training. The last 2 weeks, 3-2 were more of the same; fasted morning cardio, low calories, intense training. These last 2 weeks went by in a flash. Though they were only 2 weeks they were extremely productive with both my diet, training and posing.
The big change with the diet had to be the dropping of all sweeteners, table salt and diet soda. During the beginning of my contest prep I would use Splenda to sweeten my food, table salt on most of my meat and also had plenty of Diet Mountain Dew with meals. All of those things were gone till after the contest. Which means there goes all the flavor.
I also got rid of protein powder and was only having whole food meals. Calories dropped about 50 each week. Other than that the food stayed relatively the same. I continued with the same carb cycle. Below is a peak of my diet for weeks 3-2 in my contest prep:
- 2 Tablespoons of Natural Peanut Butter
Training for the last 2 weeks was extremely fun in some respects and frustrating in other ways. The reason it was fun was that each time I walked in the gym I was able to see all the hard work displayed in the mirror. Being in such great shape motivated me to workout harder. But though I was motivated, lack of calories made it extremely hard to get through the workouts and also my strength was almost non-existent.
I continued with the giant set program that I used before, which continued to workout extremely well. Cardio stayed at the same as before. I like to lose my body fat by tweaking my diet not doing more in the gym. I feel that is a recipe for overtraining if you are always trying to do more in the gym. Below is a peak at my workout split during the last 2 weeks
- Day 1: AM: Fasted Cardio/Chest/Triceps PM: Shoulders/ Cardio
- Day 2: AM: Fasted Cardio/Back/Traps PM: Biceps/ Cardio
- Day 3: AM: Fasted Cardio PM: Cardio
- Day 4: AM: Legs PM: Cardio
- Day 5: AM: Calves/Cardio PM Cardio
- Incline Dumbbell Flyes/Flat Barbell Bench Press/Body Weight Dips Tri-set: 3x12 w/ each
- Flat Dumbbell Flyes/Incline Barbell Bench Press/Body Weight Dips Tri-set: 3x12 w/ each
- Dumbbell Pullovers/Pec Dec Superset: 3x15 w/ each
- Rope Pushdown Warm-up
- Close Grip Bench Press On Smith Machine: 3x12
- Close Grip Bench Press on Smith Machine: 3x12
- Triceps Pushdowns: 2x15, 5 second hold on the bottom
- A1. Standing Military Press: 2x12
- A2. Behind the Neck Presses on Smith Machine: 2x12
- A3. Seated Dumbbell Presses: 2x12
- A4. Front Presses on Smith Machine: 2x12, No Rest between Exercises and only 60 sec rest between Giant Sets
- B1. Barbell Upright Rows: 2x12
- B2. Wide Grip Smith Machine Upright Rows: 2x15
- B3. Dumbbell side Laterals: 2x12
- B4. Front cable raises: 2x15, No Rest between Exercises and only 45 sec rest between Giant Sets
- C1. Rear Delt Raise: 2x15
- C2. Upright Barbell Rows: 2x15
- C3. Reverse Flyes: 2x15
- C4. Behind the back shrug: 2x15, No Rest between Exercises and only 30 sec rest between Giant Sets
- T-bar rows: 5x12
- A1. Bent over barbell rows: 4x12
- A2. Seated cable rows: 4x12, No Rest between sets
- B1. Under hand grip Barbell rows: 3x15
- B2. Wide Grip Pulldowns: 3x12, No Rest between sets
- C1. One Arm Dumbbell Rows: 3x10
- C2. Close Grip Pulldowns: 3x10, No Rest between sets
- D1. Behind the back Shrugs: 2x12
- D2. Machine Shrugs: 2x12
- D3. Barbell Shrugs: 2x12
- D4. Dumbbell Shrugs: 2x12, No Rest Between sets
- A1. Barbell Curls: 2x12
- A2. Wide Grip Barbell Curls: 2x12
- A3. Close Grip Barbell Curls: 2x12, Alt between exercises 30 sec rest between exercises
- Incline Alt Dumbbell Curls: 3x10
- Squats: 5x12 Superset w/ Hack Squats: 5x20
- Alt Barbell Lunges: 3x15 Superset with Seated Leg Curls: 3x12
- Walking Dumbbell Lunges: about 20 steps to the Leg Press where I did set of 12 reps
- Walking DB Lunges Back Another 20 step to the Lying Leg Curl where I did 12 reps and repeated this process without rest for 3 sets.
- Leg Extensions Alternate reps going from right to left until I hit 50 then without a rest I did 50 reps with the same weight with both legs.
- A1. Seated Calf Raise: 5x20
- A2. Leg Press Calf Raises: 5x15
- A3. Standing Calf Raise: 5x12
- No Rest Between exercises
Posing increased a lot during these last 2 weeks... I finally picked a song. I am going to use "Rollin" by Limp Bizkit. I had the routine done but needed the right music for it. I know you are supposed to get the music first but I had a routine in my head from the beginning so I did it this way.
I worked on my mandatory poses and routine at least once a day for 30 minutes. I know this will pay off come contest time. The routine is going to be Hoppin'. Can't wait to get on stage and rock the house.
I am extremely excited for the contest and can't wait for it to come. I have put in hours and hours of hard work for that one day and it could not come soon enough. The next week is going to be a complete manipulation of my diet so that I can peak just right for my contest. Stay tune for my next article where I will give you every detail of Peak Week leading right into my contest.
Check Out Alex Stewart's BodySpace Here.