Straight Outta The Can: Tuna Recipes For Bodybuilders!
Tuna has long been a favorite protein source for bodybuilders, dieters, and other athletes. It's cheap, fast, portable, and pre-portioned into convenient sizes. Did I mention it was cheap? The fact is, it is a great source of protein and omega-3 essential fats and it makes a great snack too.
Solid white albacore can taste great all by itself if it fits your budget. If not, here are a few "straight outta the can" recipes you can use to bring a little life into your next can of tuna (or canned chicken).
Straight Outta The Can Recipes
Lemon Pepper Tuna: Lemon juice and fresh ground pepper or sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning
Balsamic Tuna: Balsamic vinegar and fresh ground pepper
Mustard Dill Tuna: Dill, 1 tbsp mustard, and chopped celery
Southwest Tuna: 1 tbsp non-fat mayo, 1/4 of a Anaheim green chile (chopped), black pepper to taste
Honey Mustard Tuna: 1-2 tbsp Honey Mustard
Tuna Fried Rice Saute cooked brown rice, chopped green or yellow onions, and egg whites in pan sprayed with butter flavor non-stick spray. Mix in tuna and serve.
Tuna Stuffed Tomato Mix 1 tbsp non-fat mayo, pepper and tuna and stuff inside a tomato. Top tomato with a slice of mozzarella cheese and bake in toaster oven until cheese melts.
Old El Paso Tuna: 1 heaping tbsp spoon Salsa or 1 tbsp chopped green chiles.
Tuna Italiano: 1 tbsp Italian dressing or olive oil vinaigrette, fresh ground pepper
Tuna Balsamico 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar, a few dashes oregano, ground pepper to taste
Tuna Piccata: 1 tsp capers, lemon juice, Â½ tsp parsley, fresh ground pepper
All American Tuna: 1 tbsp fat-free mayo, 1 chopped pickle, 1/2 stalk chopped celery or onion
Texas Tuna: 1 tbsp BBQ sauce
Tuna Melt: 1 tbsp fat-free mayo, 1 oz cheese melted on top
Tuna Parmesan: Mix in1 tbsp catsup, tomato sauce, or spaghetti sauce. Sprinkle with breadcrumbs or a crushed cracker, top with 1 oz. low-fat mozzarella cheese. Cook in microwave or toaster oven until cheese melts.
No-Time Tuna: 1 Fork, 1 glass of water
Tuna Melt Patties
Here's a special edition of an American classic that clocks in at a preparation speed of five minutes or less!
- 1 6oz. can tuna, drained
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 2 tbsp. oatmeal (quick or regular)
- 2 tbsp. onion, diced (or 1/4 tsp onion powder)
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- salt or salt substitute & pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp reduced-fat mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Mix all ingredients except cheese together in a small bowl.
- Heat a small non-stick frying pan over medium heat and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Make two small patties by spooning 1/2 of tuna mixture into each side of the pan and lightly pressing with fork to flatten into a patty.
- Cook until both sides are brown.
- Top with 1 tbsp. cheese and serve alone, on top of light bread, or with sides of choice.
Serving Size (1)
Tuna Melt Patties PDF (29.5 KB)
Recommended For You
- Follow This Discussion by:
Bodybuilding.com - Ultimate Nutrition Arginine/Ornithine/Lysine! On sale now!