Do the following routine for 7 consecutive days followed by 5 days of rest except for cardio. I know what you are thinking: overtraining. But that's what you want, and in addition to an increased metabolism! Your 5 days of rest will help your whole body recover so it "bounces-back" to making new gains in endurance, strength, muscle when you resume training by following your own routine or choosing from one of my own (depending on your level of fitness and goal) on my main articles page.
This Routine Is Broken Down Into Four Parts:
- Abs and upper body warm-up
- Lower body
- Upper body
Sets for large body parts consist of 4 sets, whereas small body parts are in the ball park of 2-3. Keep your rep range between 10-20 reps on each set. The only exception is your couple sets of squats for 6 reps. This routine should take 60 minutes.
Abs and Upper Body Warm-up:
- Floor Crunches OR Roman Chair Crunches 1 X 15 (1 set of 15 reps)
- Lying Leg Raises (mid to finish only) OR Reverse Crunches 1 X 15
- Oblique Crunches 1 X 15
- Warm-up for chest, shoulders, arms, back - Dips 2 X 15-25
- Standing Calf Raises OR Seated Calf Raises OR Toe Presses 3 X 10-15
- Squats 2 X 6
- Leg Extensions 2 X 15 (slow, controlled, and peak contractions at top)
- Lying Leg Curls OR Seated Leg Curls 3 X 15 (moderate to quick rep speed and quick sets)
Cardio (to increase motivation to energize your upper body workout):
- My chosen mode is the treadmill for 2 laps or 1/2 mile at 4 mph for about 7 minutes
- Bench Press OR Inclined Bench Press 2 X 10-20; Dumbbell Flyes 2 X 10-15
- Pulldowns 2 X 15; Any Row Movement 2 X 15
- Military Presses 2 X 15-20
- Dumbbell Lateral Raises (1/3 reps only from top of movement) 2 X 12-15
- (superset - unilaterally) - One-Arm Dumbbell Extensions 3 X 15; One-Arm Dumbbell Curls 3 X 12
- 6 grams of creatine each before and after the workout
- O.J. mixed with my favorite protein supplement after the workout!
- Optional: 1 or 2 servings (2 or 4 capsules) of Xenadrine split in the mid-AM and mid-PM but never before a workout or immediately after!