Some people turn their garages into secondary living quarters to house the wayward son that never outgrew his mom's apron strings. Some make their garages into offices or workshops. These days, some turn their garages into children-shrines. The once ignored, oil-stained garage is now replete with carpet, a TV, a Dolby sound system, a computer, video games and a pool table.
Nonetheless, not withstanding the hedonistic changes of the 21st Century, very few people launch, let alone maintain, a professional bodybuilding career in their garage! Well now - it just so happens that my second PLANET MUSCLE Buffed Home Workout happens to involve a garage and a true garage barbarian, bodybuilder Jeff Williamson, the Hoosier who made Natural PRO, after just three years of hard-core garage labor.
Pumping Iron In The Old Garage
Jeff Williamson has just become a professional bodybuilder for the WNBF. To do so, he had to win the overall in the USA drug-free amateur affiliation contest. Jeff is drug-free, always has been, always will be. (Today, that alone can be considered noteworthy.)
I first met Jeff last December when the Indiana native flew to California to film several Planet Muscle television shows for the E! Entertainment Network with host Jeff Everson. I appear on Planet Muscle regularly and my segments centered on home training and nutrition, along with Beverly Nutrition (an upscale nutritive company that Mr. Williamson seems to live and die by), Ivanko barbells, and the PowerBlocks (those famous home dumbbell boys).
As Mr. W told his story, I was so flabbergasted at the totality of his dedication and his down-to-earth reality that I wanted to relay it to Planet Muscle readers, those who are most interested in building their bodies in the privacy of their own homes.
As I stated, Jeff Williamson reached the level of natural PRO bodybuilder in 3 years. He is 34 and weighs around 185 in competition shape. He is married, works full time as an engineer and systems analyst and, amazingly, he has 6 children. (One of the side effects of NOT using drugs is that your testosterone and potency remains viable.) In addition, Jeff's wife works part time and Jeff is also attending school part time. Gee.
There's more. Jeff still found the time to work out up to three times a day to make pro status, and went no farther away than his garage to do it! Ladies and gents don't tell me that you just do not have the time to train!
Jeff's Training: The Garage
No Gold's Gym Membership Card Required
To win his association USA event and make pro, Jeff trained three times a day. Each of his workouts lasted about 30-45 minutes and Jeff always trained in his garage dungeon, at home by his lonesome.
Here's how his mind-boggling preparation and training broke out: His first workout was one major body part. The second workout was stationary bike aerobics and his third workout of the day was reserved for smaller body parts. Here is the workout, Williamson style, summarized:
- Day 1: Back, in the morning (6 a.m.), bike at noon and shoulders in the evening (8 p.m.)
- Day 2: Quadriceps, in the morning, bike at noon and no training in the evening
- Day 3: Chest in the morning, bike at noon and traps and triceps in the evening
- Day 4: Biceps in the morning, bike at noon and hamstrings and calves in the evening
- Day 5: Off Day
- 6 and on, start the rotation again.
Here Is An Example Of Jeff's Chest / Triceps / Trap Day 6:00 a.m:
- General Warm-up
- Incline Dumbbell Press - 5 sets x 8-10 reps
- Decline Dumbbell Fly - 3 sets x 15-20 reps
- Flat Dumbbell Press - 3 sets x 10-12 reps
- Each set was as heavy as he could lift for the prescribed number of reps 12:00 noon
- BIKE, 30 minutes with Abdominals 8:00 P.M.
- General Warm-up
- Dumbbell Shrugs - 6 sets x 10-15 reps
- Triceps Pushdowns - 3 sets x 15-20 reps
- Lockout presses, moving from a level set equal to the top of his head to finish - 3 sets x 6 - 10 reps
- Lying Dumbbell triceps extensions performed across his body - 3 sets x 10 - 15 rep
Typical Meal Nutrition
Jeff's High Protein, Kick-Butt Day
- Meal #1: 8 oz. lean beef, chicken breast or turkey breast, 3 egg whites, 1 whole egg, 1 grapefruit
Meal #2: Protein Drink of either 3 scoops of Beverly Ultra Size with water or 2 scoops Beverly Muscle Provider with 1 scoop 100% Egg Protein, strawberries and water. Small tuna or chicken breast or 3 egg whites, 1 yolk, 1 tomato
Meal #3: Chicken breast. Salad (lettuce, tomato, carrot, cucumber, green peppers, low fat dressing, or 2 cups green beans)
Meal #4: Protein Drink: 3 scoops Ultra Size, 2 TBS Heavy Cream, 18-oz. water Or: Protein Drink: 2 scoops Beverly International Muscle Provider, 1 scoop 100% Egg Protein, strawberries and water Small tuna or Chicken breast, or 3 egg whites, 1 yolk, 1 tomato
Meal #5: 10 oz. chicken breast, turkey breast or very lean beef (filet would be ideal) 2 cups green leafy vegetables or salad (asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, spinach or zucchini)
Meal #6: Beverly Ultra Size crepe or drink
Savior Supplements Against Over-Trainnig
Jeff says he doesn't want to sound like a commercial billboard, but he freely admits to using an enormous amount of supplements - all Beverly International.
Jeff loads on Beverly's specialty pharmaceutically pristine protein powders (not yet available at GNC and stores). This includes 100% Egg White and Muscle Provider (an extreme anabolic blend of 3 whey constituents of up to 32% whey hydrolysate peptides, and egg albumin).
He also uses Beverly's Muscle Size. Like the original MET-Rx, this is a multiple blend of milk isolates, casein whey and egg albumin, but it also includes beef plasma, and was also developed by a medical doctor, Eric Serrano.
Other supplements he uses are Beverly ZMA at night, Beverly GH, Glutamine and Muscle Mass in the very early morning, to help switch nighttime catabolic mechanisms over to daytime anabolism, as he calls it. Jeff, right hand ever on the Bible, swears loyally to the quality of Beverly.
A Home (well garage anyway) Is A Man's Castle
Jeff's a PRO bodybuilder, but still enjoys life. His wife Linda and he, have 6 children (Brittany 13, Krista 11, Chassi & Alice 10, Seth 3, and Brett 2).
Jeff comments about the obvious family confusion, "Here's how I work around family and work schedules to train up to three times per day. The morning workout's a piece of cake. I just get up and go straight to the garage while the kids are still in bed. The noon workout is also pretty easy to fit into my schedule. My work is only about 1 mile from my house and I'm able to go home during my lunch period and jump on the bike for a 1/2 hour.
The third workout is the tough one. I usually start to train about the time the kids start settling down for bed. However they often come out with me and "help" me train. The little ones like to play while the older ones like to crank up the tunes and dance around while I train.
Career-wise, I attend school one night a week. I already have an engineering degree, but for whatever reason, I decided to go back to school and get another degree that focuses on business as well as all the technical stuff. I have many roles: Dad, husband, student, technical support specialist, personal trainer and competitive bodybuilder. These keep me going all the time.
My garage is specifically for my training and possibly to expand my personal training. I have all of my equipment in the garage at this time - (Ivanko, PowerBlocks, power-rack, leg machines, bench press, incline, lat machine, bike, squat rack).
Jeff's Pumped Up Vita:
- 1997 NPC Midwest States Natural (middleweight -1st) - Overall
- 1998 NPC Natural Iron Man (lightheavy - 1st) - Overall
- 1998 NPC Great Lakes Natural Classic (lightheavy- 1st) - Overall
- 1999 NPC Indianapolis (lightheavy - 1st)
- 1999 NPC Indiana (Middleweight - 1st)
- 2000 NPC Great Lake Super Natural (lightheavy - 1st) - Overall
- 2000 NPC Governors Cup (lightheavy 1st)
- 2000 NANBF (Natural) MR. USA 1st) Overall, Earns PRO STATUS!
- Ivanko Barbells and Dumbbells 310.514.1155
- The PowerBlocks Everyone who calls 800-997-3999 to order a brochure on the Powerblocks will automatically be entered in our "Free-Weight Powerblock Extravaganza" where the winner will receive a great prize, an all-expense paid trip for two to beautiful, tropical Hawaii! The winner will be announced on Feb 1, 2002.
- Jeff Williamson through Beverly International and to reach Beverly: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org 1.800.781.3475 Beverly, 513 Industrial Road Cold Spring, KY 41076.
About The Author
Karen Jo Koumas, BS, is a certified aerobics instructor and teaches body-shaping exercise on Planet Muscle Television on the E! Cable Network. (See the show schedule on page 37). Karen is also a flight attendant with United Airlines and insists she has nothing to do with any flights ever being delayed.
Karen Jo Koumas