There are thousands of diet gurus trying to capture every one of us who wants to look lean, in shape and flawless, especially if you are surrounded by the prying eyes of L.A. Here, you have to maintain your look and appearance to stay on top of the Hollywood hills.
The diets that are normally recommended in "tinsel town" consist of starving oneself that essentially break down the muscles of the mind and body.
This can be effective in the short run but I can almost guarantee your Gucci handbag that your quick-fix diet plan will come and bite you in the butt by accommodating fat cell reinforcement when you decide to have a cheat here and there. Yes, you may have met this little creature before - "The Yo-Yo diet."
I have been a professional athlete and trainer for many years and have learned how the body works. I know how an essential tool such as food can tweak the body to look almost the way we want it. When I moved to L.A. from Sweden, I was shocked by the amount of people in the USA who complicated their nutrition regimens and still had no luck attaining that "perfect" physique.
The majority of my L.A.-based clients thought that by eating fewer meals they would stay in shape. If you eat less than 4 meals per day the metabolism can slow down so dramatically that the body stores more fat and weight is lost in the form of muscle tissue.
LiftRite Video Series:
Episode #14: Celebrity Workouts!
Watch The Video - 20:14
Want Hollywood muscle? Well we can help you get that movie star look with these popular celebrity workouts that are tried and true. These workouts have helped many hollywood stars get fit in record time for movie roles!
Watch More From This Series Here.
To get in shape or keep our bodies toned we need to provide ourselves with small meal portions spread throughout the day. From experience of living and training many people in L.A., I am all too aware of the time limits we have imposed on us to take meal breaks.
For my time restricted clients (and for those needing to get in shape for red carpet events on short notice), I recommend 3 supplements divided between whole food meals. I recommend consuming at least 5 small meals in total. Every time the body consumes healthy choice foods, the metabolism speeds up and more fats are burned. Just like placing wood on a fire more often, the fat burning flame will continue to burn our stored fat.
- Eat the right amount of calories for energy. We need to give our body enough energy to be able to function throughout all our daily activities.
- Eat at least 3 main meals per day and smaller meals in between. Remember not more than 4 hours between the food intakes or your motor will stop.
- Calories in the right balance. Protein as lean meat, egg whites or lean dairy products (to maintain, build and recover our muscles), carbohydrates as pasta, rice, potatoes and vegetables (feed our brain and muscles with energy) and finally fat as vegetable oil or olive oil to make sure we maintain our hormone levels and all organs intact. You need fat to burn fat.
- Drink more than a gallon of water per day. This is Mother Nature's drink to beauty and health.
|How Celebs Stay In Shape.
Our exclusive super feature lists their diets, interviews, we'll provide you with a detailed account of their training programs, and much more.
[ Check Out The Celebrity Buff Super Feature! ]
Commiting To A Healthy Lifestyle
Since we live in a busy, high-tech and trendy world which results in working and socializing most of the day, many people find it hard to squeeze in the time to eat and to exercise. But there are actually ways to make it work. You don't have to, for example, starve because you are out shopping for hours and don't want to waste time to eat.
Meal replacements are a great substitute for a real meal and it doesn't take long to consume or prepare. There are many brands and products available. I order supplements for my clients from Bodybuilding.com. Here you will find the right choices for your needs.
Not only do they answer your questions if you need help, they also provide you with suggestions and articles from other nutritionist and diet experts. What you need is a full meal replacement with carbohydrates, protein and a little amount of fat.
- Meal Replacement Powders - It mixes easily in a blender or shaker bottle. They come in many tasty flavors like chocolate, strawberry, vanilla and many more. Make yourself a healthy smoothie by adding milk and yogurt. An explosion of taste!
- Protein Bars - They come in many different brands and flavors. These are popular since they are similar in taste to a candy bar. Now you can fulfill your chocolate craving without feeling guilty.
A good trick is to always keep a bar in your purse or handbag. Then you are safe to go shopping or go out with friends without the risk of slowing down your metabolism and become dizzy because of hunger. Have a few packages of meal replacements, a shaker bottle and water in your car in case you get stuck in traffic.
Eating In Resteraunts
Eating out doesn't have to be a bad thing, you just have to have good communication with the chef of the restaurant and look on the menu for the healthy choices.
- Go for the grilled meat instead of having it fried or broiled.
- Have the sauce by the side.
- Avoid butter and cheese in sandwiches or on baked potatoes.
- Go for brown rice instead of white and cooked potatoes instead of fried.
- Order steamed vegetables instead of fried vegetables.
- Drink alcohol in moderation. Dry white wine and champagne are the best choices.
To keep your body looking healthy and fit doesn't have to take hours or be boring. I advise my clients to do some type of exercise at least 3 times per week.
- Take your child and or dog for a walk and play with them in the park. The park is perfect for push-ups and crunches. Involve the whole family and do it together.
- Walk or run for at least 20 minutes at any of the beautiful beaches we have around us: Malibu, Santa Monica, Venice and many more. You can actually people watch and enjoy the breeze from the ocean at, the same time as you are burning calories and strengthening your body.
- Try yoga classes. You don't need to be a gymnast to participate any of these environments since they have different working levels from beginners up to advanced classes. This is a good way to rest your mind for awhile and concentrate on only the inner you at the same time you stretch and work your muscles.
- Join a sports club such as L.A. Sports Club, Equinox, and Gold's Gym. Here you can have your own private trainer that supports and encourages you. You can also attend any of the classes they offer such as yoga, box exercises, Pilates, spinning and much more. Many of these clubs offer spa areas too.
- Leave the car (for example) on Melrose Avenue and walk to shop.
- Have you ever walked the Santa Monica stairs? That's where many famous stars have been walking up and down to shape their legs and bottoms for decades. To spend 20 minutes in these stairs or any stairs is a perfect way to treat cellulite and to get nice muscular shaped legs.
- Swim for 20 minutes in your own pool or a community pool.
These are just a few examples of exercises. Use your imagination and you will come up with many more.
To stay in shape doesn't mean starving and sacrificing all the good things in life. You can still be social and busy in your career. Feel free to still go out and eat at your favorite restaurant and go dancing at the night clubs. To go out dancing is a great way to get your body fit and at the same time you are in the spotlight.
Just use my small guidelines and you will look stunning and glamorous all year round and make people say "wow" on the red carpet, premiers or any celebration when they see your transformation.