Michael Federis was also featured as the Male Amateur of the Week. Check out his profile.
[ Q ] How Did You Get Started?
I started bodybuilding when I was stationed in Okinawa, Japan. At the time I was a real fan of fitness and was always in the gym. I had no prior knowledge of bodybuilding until a met a few Japanese bodybuilders. They introduced me to how bodybuilder's train and how their diet is so different from other sports. I wasn't really hooked until I saw the bodybuilding competition that was held in Japan. From then on, I was hooked and never looked back.
[ Q ] What Is The Hardest Part Of Making The Transition From Civilian Life To Military Life?
The hardest part for me was the lifestyle and commitment it takes to live a military life. It's more than a job it's a way of life. In a sense I can say that you are never off work. It's a 24 hour job and you must be ready at all times. Finally, it takes a lot of commitment. At times you have to make many individual sacrifices for the good of the military and our country.
[ Q ] What Is The Biggest Obstacle In Leading A Military Lifestyle?
The biggest obstacle for me is being away from home and not having that close social contact with family and friends.
[ Q ] What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
Sunday - Legs:
- Barbell Squats: 5 sets of 15 reps
- Leg Press: 3 sets of 15 reps
- Hack Squat: 3 sets of 15 reps
- Lunges: 5 sets of 15 reps
Monday - Chest:
- Flat Bench Press: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Incline Bench Press: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Dumbbell Flyes: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Wednesday - Back:
- Deadlift: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Lat Pull-Downs: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Bent-Over Rows: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Seated Cable Rows: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Thursday - Shoulders:
- Seated Military Press: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Seated Dumbbell Lateral Raises: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Dumbbell Front Raises: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Rear Delt Raises: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
Friday - Arms/Calves:
- Barbell Curl: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Seated Alternate Dumbbell Curls: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Preacher Curls: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Close Grip Bench Press: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Triceps Pushdowns: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Dumbbell Kickbacks: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
My rep range stays within 8-12 repetitions but can go as high as 15 for legs. I never stick to the same routine, I always cycle my routine every other week to keep my muscles guessing.
[ Q ] What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
Meal 1 - 7:30 AM:
Meal 2 - 10:30 AM:
Meal 3 - 1:30 PM:
Meal 4 - 4:30 PM:
Meal 5 - 6:30 PM:
Meal 6 - 9:00 PM:
Meal 7 - 1000 PM:
[ Q ] What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
If I had to choose one product that I couldn't live without, that product would be ON Whey Protein. That product has helped me tremendously in gaining muscle and recovery.
[ Q ] What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
My immediate goal is to gain more muscle mass on my frame. But, eventually I want to be competitive on the national level. I want to take this as far as I can go.
[ Q ] Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
[ Q ] What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders In The Military?
Diet, diet, diet! To be successful in bodybuilding diet is core component in maintaining muscle and building muscle. Especially in the military it is hard sometimes to eat 8 meals a day, but staying constant with your diet plan will pay off in the end.
Sign Up To Win $50 in Store Credit!
|Share This Article: