In your grandmother's kitchen, haystack cookies are probably a staple. Today, I'm going to give you a healthier option so you can enjoy this classic favorite with an extra protein bonus!
So grab your coconut flakes, favorite protein powder, and a spatula. Let's get cooking!
Jamie Eason's Toasted Coconut Protein Haystack Cookies Recipe
Watch The Video - 03:24
- 5 oz. bag unsweetened flaked coconut
- 1 cup no-calorie sweetener
- 1 scoop vanilla protein powder
- Zest of 2 large lemons
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 5 egg whites
- Nonstick spray
- Large cookie sheet
- Large skillet
- Large bowl
- Rubber spatula/spoon
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Cute plate or napkin for presentation
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and spray 2 large cookie sheets with non-stick spray, set aside.
- Toast the coconut in a dry saute pan over medium heat, stirring often.
- The finished product should look lightly brown with half of the coconut still white.
- Transfer the toasted coconut to a large bowl.
- Next, lightly toast the sliced almonds over medium/low heat. The almonds should be toasted just enough to enhance the flavor, but not add much color.
- While the almonds toast, add the sweetener, protein powder, and salt to the coconut and stir until evenly distributed.
- Remove the almonds from the heat to let cool. Zest lemons.
- Stir in almonds, lemon zest, and finally egg whites. Mix until everything is incorporated.
- Use a tablespoon to drop the cookies onto the cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
Recipe makes approximately 20 cookies
Toasted Coconut Protein Haystack Cookies PDF (29.5 KB)
Be sure to let the toasted almonds cool before you stir them into the batter, or they will cook your egg whites!
These cookies won't spread out like a regular chocolate chip cookie does. They'll stay exactly how they are when you drop them onto the cookie sheet, which makes for fun shape and texture!