If you've been missing out on the campfire s'mores this summer, then these protein-packed donuts are just for you! I know, they look like they're loaded with sugar and ridiculously bad for you, but looks can be deceiving. Would you believe each donut is under 150 calories and contains less than 4 grams of sugar? Not only that, but these puppies taste incredible! Whip up a batch and see for yourself how tasty healthy can be.
Vanilla protein powder (I used Lean Body for Her Whey Isolate)60 g
Pyure organic Stevia blend (or Truvia baking blend) 6 tbsp
Spelt flour (or all-purpose flour, oat flour, gluten-free baking blend) 1/4 cup
Coconut flour (or 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, oat flour, gluten-free baking blend) 2 tbsp
Baking powder 1/2 tsp
Nonfat plain Greek yogurt (or dairy-free yogurt) 1/4 cup
Coconut oil, melted (or butter, ghee) 1 tbsp
Cinnamon (optional) 1/4 tsp
Chocolate protein powder (I used Lean Body for Her Whey Isolate)40 g
Pyure organic Stevia blend (or Stevia drops) 2 tbsp
Unsweetened cocoa powder 1 tbsp
Water (may need more or less depending on protein used) 1/4 cup
VitaFiber syrup (or sugar free chocolate syrup, other sticky syrup) 2 tbsp
Mini marshmallows 1/4 cup
Golden Grahams cereal (or crushed graham cracker) 1/4 cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together dry ingredients until combined.
- In a separate bowl, mix together wet ingredients until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry mix, and stir until no clumps remain to form a soft dough.
- Spoon dough into a sealable baggie, seal the top, and cut off one corner to make a 1-inch opening. This is your piping bag.
- Lightly coat the wells of a donut pan with cooking spray and pipe batter into wells. Alternatively, you can just pipe batter into a circle on a lightly greased baking sheet and pinch ends together.
- Bake for 8 minutes, or until cooked through but still soft.
- While donuts cool, combine glaze ingredients until smooth and thick. Add water 1 tbsp. at a time until a thick frosting consistency is reached.
- Spread glaze over donuts, then top with mini marshmallows and Golden Grahams (or crushed graham cracker). Optional step: Place decorated donuts on a baking sheet and broil on high for 2 minutes, until marshmallows are light golden brown.
- Enjoy! Store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container up to one week (freezing not recommended).
Serving size: 1 donut (including toppings)
Recipe yields: 6 servings