Bodybuilding is 80% nutrition: anyone can get in the gym and work hard but it's what you do for the other twenty three hours in a day that separates those with a good physique from those without.
As such finding the perfect amount of carbs, protein and fat as well as correct timing of said http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/nutrients will go along way to aiding you achieving your goals. Often this means many foods which we enjoy can become off limits, but it doesn't have to be that way. With some imagination and substitution of offending ingredients you can often continue to enjoy your favourite foods and still lean out or add lean muscle mass.
Below are a few of my favourite recipes for bodybuilding friendly dishes.
- Mince meat
- Wholemeal lasagne sheets
- Chopped plum tomatoes
- Herbs (basil, oregano, pepper etc)
- Low fat cottage cheese
- Cook the onions, mince tomatoes etc., as a normal bolgnese sauce, layer this with the lasagne sheets and cottage cheese (don't use as much as you would with white sauce as it tends to be more fluidy and will just make a soggy mess)
- Bake for 30 minutes
- Whole meal pita bread
- Tomato puree or chopped tomatoes
- Italian herbs
- Low fat cottage cheese
- Cooked chicken breast
- Spread puree on pita, top with other ingredients and grill for 10-15 minutes
Lower Carb Mash
- Steam head of cauliflower and either mash or for a real creamy mash food process into puree with cream/milk
Baked EFA Nibbles
- Sesame seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Pumpkin seeds
- Coriander seeds (break these up)
- Cumin seeds
- Chilli flakes
- Lightly grease a baking tray and place all the seeds on.
- Spray with oil and bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Great nibble for watching a film for those who like crisps etc
- Tin chopped tomatoes
- Chopped onions
- Chopped bell pepper
- Chopped chilli pepper
- Lemon juice
- Chilli powder
- Grill the bell peppers and set aside. Brown off onions in pan and add chopped chilli's, add chopped peppers, tomatoes and lemon juice and simmer for five minutes.
- Nice as a sauce over chicken or as a dip late at night when sat in front of the box.
Low Fat Stuffing
- Peel and dice the pears and onions, dice or crumble the bread, mix with herbs and seasoning and stick it in your choice of poultry and bake for a Sunday roast.
- Mix olive oil in with flour, add in oats.
- Slightly boil the apples but leave them hard.
- Layer apples in dish, layer oats/flour mix over the top and sprinkle cinnamon over the top.
- Bake for 20+ minutes until its crispy on top.
Smart-Tec Rice Pudding
- Add the milk, water and rice to a pan, boil until the rice is soft and their is a little liquid left in the pan.
- Leave to cool for a while and mix in wheyfx which will thicken the mixture up and add flavour.
bodybuilders Freindly recipes PDF (115 KB)
Hope you enjoy these recipes and can see some of the substitutions for the usual cheese and off limit recipe ingredients.