Is it true what the experts say? "Breakfast is the most important meal of your day"? The answer is yes, absolutely! Studies have shown that diets that include a large breakfast result in a significantly greater fat loss than diets that avoid it!
Many people think that if you skip meals especially breakfast it will help you to shed those extra pounds. The fact is that by not eating breakfast it may not only leave you feeling tired and exhausted early on in the day it may also result in a vital loss of muscle and a subsequent decrease in your metabolism. Since your metabolic rate is the fastest in the morning and slows down throughout the day it makes perfect sense then that the calories you eat for breakfast will be then used by your body and not stored as fat.
After all, how can you expect to perform your absolute best on an empty stomach? You can't! Think of eating healthy well-balanced meals as if you're fueling your car. If you do not stop periodically to refuel your car it can not perform and the better the quality of fuel you provide the better the performance will be, right? Well, the same goes for your body. The big question to ask your self here is, do you think of your self as a Ferrari or as a Yugo?
It's an old cliche but it is true, "you are what you eat". Therefore, whatever you put into your body is the fuel that will energize you both mentally and physically each day. So, take the time to plan your daily meals and to eat a healthy high-energy breakfast. By doing so you will most likely determine the type of day you will have.
Furthermore, if you find yourself exhausted early on in the day and you're not getting the results you would like then the chances are you are listening to too many advertisements on quick weight-loss schemes depriving yourself of proper nutrition. Start by listening to your body, educating yourself on proper nutrition and planning well-balanced meals. Remember that each day is a new day with a new beginning. Treat your self like a Ferrari and get the most out of your life, you deserve it!
The following is a delicious, nutritious and high-energy breakfast recipe to start that perfect day!
Oatmeal Protein Pancakes with Apples and Blueberries
- 1 cup peeled, sliced and cooked Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup blueberries
- 2 egg whites
- 3/4 cup Quaker Oats Instant Oatmeal
- 1/2 cup multi-grain pancake mix
- 2 scoops Vanilla Whey Protein Mix
- 2 Tablespoons vanilla or plain non-fat yogurt
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Non-fat Vanilla or Plain Yogurt
- Prepare the filling; wash, peel, decor and slice apples into small pieces. Place apples in a small bowl and microwave on high for two minutes. Rinse blueberries well and set aside. Beat egg whites and set aside.
- Prepare the batter; in a large bowl combine oatmeal, pancake mix, vanilla whey protein mix, yogurt, cinnamon and vanilla extract. Gradually stir in egg whites, apples and water, mixing until a thick consistency, (spatula should stand upright in batter.) If batter is too thick, add a little more H2O; if too thin, add a little more oatmeal. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Preheat non-stick sprayed large skillet on stovetop over medium heat; place two to four large spoonfuls of batter in heated skillet. Pancakes should be approximately three to four inches in diameter. Check pancakes in a few minutes by sliding spatula under and looking for desired browness. Flip and repeat to other side.
- To Serve; top pancakes with your favorite fruit and sprinkle with cinnamon. These pancakes are excellent served with honey or maple syrup or even with peanut butter or your favorite yogurt. Makes 4-6 pancakes. Enjoy and stay healthy!
Pancakes are great if you are on the go. Try doubling up the batter and preparing enough that will last you a few days then wrap up the leftovers, they will hold up great in refrigerator. When you find your self in a hurry, just pop one in the microwave for 30 seconds, top with peanut butter or jelly and out the door you go! Makes a great early afternoon snack too! High energy!