Farmer's Market Fresh: 5 Recipes For Local Produce
Weekly trips to the grocery store can get stale faster than badly stored bread. During the summer, change your routine and hit up the local farmer's market! You'll find a huge variety of fresh and flavorful produce to bolster your meal plan. Local produce is often less expensive than what you'll get at a grocery store, and always more nutritious. In addition, you get the satisfaction of supporting local growers.
Best of all, farmer's markets make shopping fun! They're a great way to spend time outdoors, check out fresh food, beautiful flowers, local goods and yummy samples. After you've found some great ingredients, try them in these recipes!
Grab fresh ingredients for homemade salsa. Add fruit, like strawberries, to jazz up that everyday chicken dish!
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl, stir.
- Cover and chill until serving time
Beets are one of nature's super foods; they're rich in fiber, antioxidants and folic acids. Try some fresh beets in your pancakes for some fun flavor and color!
- Place all the ingredients into a blender and puree until well mixed.
- Pour the mixture onto a greased griddle or pan over medium heat until bubbles form on the surface, then turn over and cook until dark golden brown.
- Serve with sugar-free syrup.
Vegetarian bodybuilders can find a wide variety of protein sources and green leafy vegetables at the farmer's market. Kale makes an absolutely mouth-watering treat when it's baked and topped with a delicious dressing. Stop chomping your Caesar salad; try this sweet and savory recipe instead!
Directions For Kale
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Spread kale on greased cookie sheet
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until slightly crispy
- Remove from cookie sheet and top with dressing
Directions For Dressing
- Combine yogurt, peanut butter and green tea in a blender
- Mix until well combined
- Pour mixture in small bowl and chill until serving time
From the White Batus to the Purple Japanese, sweet potato varieties are abundant at farmer's markets. Discover your favorite and try this amazing, fat-free deviled egg recipe!
- Cut peeled eggs in half lengthwise and discard the yolks
- Combine the sweet potato and Greek yogurt in a small bowl and mix well
- Spoon the sweet potato filling into egg whites
- Sprinkle tops with cinnamon
- Cover and refrigerate at least one hour before serving
Enjoy fresh ingredients in a soup. This festive and healthy gazpacho recipe is a refreshing summer treat!
- Combine all the ingredients, except the shrimp, in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Top the mixture with shrimp and serve immediately.
- Follow This Discussion by: