High Knee Running
To develop high knee running and body awareness.
- Have 5 square bags placed accordingly
- Have a back run (full speed) over each bag in succession
- Keep eyes downfield and knees high
- Ball Security
- Violent explosive high knee running
- Going for every yard- step on, over or around would be tacklers
- 5 Square Bags
To develop pass blocking skills in the five and seven step dropback game.
- Align running back in a two point stance in a split back position
- Linebackers will align in a outside rush position.
- The first linebacker will rush the QB on the whistle command, on the second whistle the running back will get I position for the second rusher.
- Each player will engage two separate defenders.
- To develop good body positioning in pass protection.
- Create awareness of the pocket area.
- Create good hand- eye coordination in pass protection.
To develop catch-tuck-turn and run techniques and body control.
- Have three defenders with shields downfield in a triangle formation.
- Have the backs run routes, catch and run and run through the triangle.
- Backs will break off of the top defender in the triangle.
- All three defenders will give a high or low delivery with the shields.
- Ball security after a catch.
- Body control- hips turned upfield through defenders after a catch.
- Keep pad level down.
- Three Shields
To develop sideline running.
- Have two players with shields line up 3 yards from the sideline and five yards apart.
- Have a back run (can catch a pass) and work upfield near the sideline.
- The defenders will each give a high or low blow delivery.
- The runner, against a low blow delivery, will:
- Keep toes pointed upfield
- Give with his hips
- Plant sideline foot upfield and explode
- Field foot must not cross over
- The runner, against a high blow delivery, will:
- Utilize shoulder-arm strength
- Put weight on sideline foot
- Push inside to give blow to defender (rip technique)
- Plant field side foot upfield- near cross over.
- Ball security.
- Violent running.
- Going for every yard - never run out of bounds.
To develop awareness of ball security during violent running.
- We will form 2 lines of players facing each other 1 yard apart.
- A QB will hand the ball off to the runner who will run between two lines.
- The runner will align at a depth and area he normally runs from.
- The players in the two lines will try to strip the ball from the runner.
- The runner will explore through the lines and sprint 10 yards past the defender.
- Ball exchange.
- Protecting the ball.
- Body balance.
- Fighting through tackles.
- 12th man players form 2 lines
- Sled or Ropes (optional)
Zig Zag Run
To develop hip flexibility, body balance, and increased body control.
- We will place three to five players 5 yards apart in a straight line.
- The ball carrier will start at one end of the line and "Zig-Zag" between the players.
- The runner should keep eyes up, drop hips to change direction, gather (no stutter steps) before direction change, head north and south and accelerate.
- Protecting the ball.
- Body balance and control.