| Article Summary:
Relationships are the key to our happiness and success. Think about the relationships you've developed in every aspect of your life, from your workplace to your auto mechanic and insurance agent.
If your coworkers like you they'll cover for you when you are out and bend over backwards to help you when you need assistance. And what about your auto mechanic? He or she may not charge you for checking over your car and performing simple tasks if you've developed a good rapport.
Relationships are so important that they play a role in your life everyday. And, you have the chance to develop new relationships and nurture existing ones daily.
What Makes A Relationship?
A relationship is defined as a connection or association with another person. So, take a close look around you. You are in a relationship of some kind with your friends, family, coworkers, neighbors and others in your immediate world.
The Keys To Developing New Relationships Are:
- Initial Contact:
This is where you get to know a particular person and decide if you want to develop a relationship with them. At this stage you can also decide on the extent of the relationship you would like -
dating, good friend, casual acquaintance, colleague etc.
When you align yourself with someone, you are finding out everything you can about them and asking them questions that help you understand what is really important to them, professionally and personally.
If this is a colleague that you are networking with, it is important to support their work. If it is a child, it is important that you show interest in what is important to them (playing). At this stage you are also building trust with the person by sharing information.
- Keeping In Touch:
Relationships change over time and it is up you to keep up your end of staying in touch. If you don't do this and then find that you really need help from a particular friend or you want to ask an old colleague for job advice, chances are that person might not be very apt to help you out.
How Bodybuilding Can Help Build Better Relationships
- Bodybuilding Develops Your Passion: When you are passionate about taking care of your body it shows and this passion spills over into other parts of your life.
You will start noticing areas of your life (your job, relationships etc.) that aren't working at the current moment and you'll take the steps necessary to fix them by building a new career or surrounding yourself with supportive people who build you up.
- Bodybuilding Builds Confidence: When you are more confident about yourself, you are less likely to take little misunderstandings out of context.
And, you are more likely to ask for what you want from someone. Do you need the person to be more understanding or to quit digging up your past mistakes? Ask them and explain why this is important to you.
- Bodybuilders Are Healthy: When you are healthy you think clearly and you have plenty of energy. And sometimes you may need that energy when your friends lean on you in times of crisis.
Bodybuilding builds a healthy body, a healthy mind and a healthy attitude. And you'll need all of these in various relationships.
Additional Tips To Help You Build Better Relationships
- Focus on the positive in every person in your life. You will soon find that you enjoy each person's company a lot more.
- Take action. If you haven't kept up your end of the bargain and kept in touch with certain people in your life (and I'm not talking about a once a year holiday card), go ahead and set aside time to contact them or better yet, visit them.
- Use social networking to your advantage. With Facebook, Twitter and Linkedin you can find just about anyone you are looking for and meet new people you may want in your world. And let's not forget BodySpace and the forums on Bodybuilding.com - both are a great way to meet new people and build relationships.
- Work on your communication skills.
- Stay positive. Nobody wants to be around someone who complains all the time or seems very negative about the world.
- Read the book: "How to Win Friends and Influence People".
- Resolve conflicts or misunderstandings right away. The longer you wait, the more repair may be necessary.
Whatever your respective roles are in life, from work to home and beyond, there are many instances when you will need help from other people or a shoulder to lean on. When you've built great relationships, you have a whole network of people to turn to in times of need.
Bodybuilding can help you build your confidence and develop your passion for a healthy body and mind. So keep on bodybuilding and you'll find the skills you are developing will help you build new relationships and enhance existing ones.
Related Self Improvement Articles:
About The Author:
Marie Spano is a leading authority on translating the latest nutrition and exercise science research into real life applications. Ms. Spano has also helped Olympic athletes, NFL-bound athletes and Fortune 500 executives enhance their health and performance through sound nutrition practices. She is a regular contributor to bodybuilding.com. For more information see: