Training Log 6/02/02 - 6/08/02, The Saga Continues!

Unfortunately, I have decided to withdraw from competing in my next scheduled contest. I have decided to do this because I have chosen to instead spend more time with my grandfather. Understandably, he has taken the passing of my grandmother pretty hard.

Unfortunately, I have decided to withdraw from competing in my next scheduled contest. I have decided to do this because I have chosen to instead spend more time with my grandfather. Understandably, he has taken the passing of my grandmother pretty hard. I've been trying to fill his void by spending extra time with him, and it would be impossible for me to prepare for my next contest under the present circumstances. My family always comes first in my eyes, and that is where my first priority lies. However, don't think that for a second that I am withdrawing completely from competing because that is not the case. I am continuing to train hard and eat right in preparation for my next contest early next year. I plan on doing an SNBF show and trying to qualify for the nationals, the NPC Junior Georgia, and possibly, the SNBF nationals. Enough of this blabber, let's get nasty!

Sunday, 06/02/02 - OFF DAY

Ok, let's get nasty…starting tomorrow!

Monday, 06/03/02 - Quads

For this session of quads, I am back at my home gym working out with my roommate. He is really dreading today's workout because it has been about two months since he worked legs at all. He's in for it!!

For a warm-up, we did three sets of 15 on the leg extension using 80, 110, and then 140 lbs. We started out the workout with squats doing 135 for a set of 15 reps, 225 for 12 reps, 275 for 10 reps, and 315 for 8 reps. Now we're getting serious. My roommate is doing a lot less weight, but he's still working harder than I had expected. My next weight was 365 for 6 reps, and then 405 for 6 more reps. This workout, we did two drop sets, one with 315 for 12 reps, and then 225 for 20 reps. Wow, my legs were stoked! Hack squats were next on the menu, and I started off with 315 for a set of 15, and then moved up to 365 for 12 more reps. The final set was done with 405 for 10 hard reps. From there, it was leg extensions-revisited. Here, I started with 120 for 15 reps, then moved up to 150 for 15 more reps, and finally ended on 180 lbs. for 12 punishing reps. My quads were beginning to go numb at this point. The workout was concluded with 2 sets of 60 reps doing walking lunges.

Tuesday, 06/04/02 - Chest and Calves

I was really feeling that extra drop set already. Robbie (my roommate) was really feeling every set, I think. He said he was thinking about sleeping on the couch so that he wouldn't have to go upstairs. Sucks for him!! What sucks for me is that I am coming down with something, my head and chest are congested and my throat is sore. Oh well!!

We began with calves today, doing 2 sets of standing calf raise for 20 reps with no weight. Then we did seated calf raises starting at 135 done 20 times, then going up to 185 for 20 more reps, 225 for another 20 reps, 15 reps with 275, and topping out at 315 for 10 reps. The next exercise was standing calf raise, this time weighted. My first set was with 225 for 20 reps, then 315 for 20 reps, and finally 405 for 15 reps. I did calf raise on the leg press machine for my next exercise. Here, I did four sets of 20 reps with 315, 405, 495, and 585 lbs. My calves were en fuego after that workout.

For chest, we started out with flat barbell press doing 135 for 15 reps, 185 for 8 reps, 225 for 8 reps, and 275 for 4 reps. Now it's getting serious. The next set was done with 315 lbs. for 8 reps, and finally 335 for a set of 6 reps. What a difference a spotter makes!! From there we went over to flat dumbbell press where I started out with 115's for a set of 10 and ended with doing 120's for a set of 8 reps. The next exercise was incline dumbbell press where we did one round of a triple drop set. At this point, one round was plenty! I did three sets of 10 reps using 80, 60, and 50 lbs. without rest. What a pump, my chest felt like it was about to bust! From there, we went and did flat flyes where I grabbed a pair of 70's and knocked out 12 reps, and then went up to 80's for a final set of 9 reps. Incline machine press was the next exercise where I did 140 for 12 reps and then went up to 180 for a set of 8 reps. Finally, to end this session I did two sets of cables. One set at 70 lbs. for 15 reps and then 90 lbs. for 12 reps.

Wednesday, 06/05/02 - OFF DAY

My damn chest is so sore, that's the small difference that having a spotter makes!

Thursday, 06/06/02 - Back

The pain in my chest still lingers in full force, put that's not a problem on back day. I am doing this workout without a partner, but I know a guy who is working, so it's a-ok. After the warm-up, I started in on pull-ups doing a set of 12 reps and then 10 reps with no extra weight. For the last set, I used a 50 lb dumbbell for a set of 10 reps. Moving on, I went to bent-over rows for sets using 135 for 15 reps, then 185 for 10 reps, 225 for 10 reps, and finally, 275 for 10 reps. I skipped on the drop set so that I could keep the weight heavy. The next exercise was curl-grip pulldowns where I did one set with 120 for 12 reps, 140 for 10 reps, and topped out at 160 for 10 more reps. The next exercise was T-Bar rows. Here I started out with 180 lbs. for a set of 10 reps and ended with 225 lbs. for a set of 8 reps. My back was feeling great, I had an awesome pump and I still felt strong. My next exercise was front pulldowns. I began with 120 lbs. for a set of 10 reps and then did a set of 10 reps with 140 lbs. As a final exercise, I did deadlifts. I started out with 225 for 10 reps, moved up to 315 for 10 reps, and then ended with a set of 8 reps at 405. Either next week or the week after, I am going to have to increase the weight!

Friday, 06/07/80 - Shoulders

Well, well, today is my 22nd birthday, but that doesn't mean that I can take the day off from training. I have to stay focused on my goals or they will slip away! My back was definitely sore from yesterday, which affected my shoulder workout slightly. I began with side lateral raises doing 15's for a set of 15, 20's for 15 more reps, and 25's for another 15 reps. This time I did seated dumbbell press instead of barbell. I did my first set with 65's for a set of 12 reps, then 80's for a set of 10 reps, and finally, 90's for a set of 8 reps. I didn't have a spotter, so I couldn't go heavier than that and keep my form perfect. The next exercise was side laterals again, this time I did giant sets. I started out with a set of 20 using 10's, and without resting, went up to 20's for a set of 12. Without resting, I went up to 30's and got a set of 8 reps. What a burn, my eyes were watering after that set! I was still sick, which didn't make any of this any easier. The next round was done starting at 10's for 15 reps, and then moving up to 20's, without resting, for 10 reps, and then 30's, without resting, for 6 reps. I know that my form wasn't too good on the last set, but f*ck it, it was good on every other set.

After I regained some feeling back in my delts, I did rear delt work on the T-Bar bench. Here, I did the exact same thing as I did last week. I did three sets of 15 reps with 40's, 45's, and 50's, and got one more set of 12 reps with 55's. The next exercise was shoulder press on the hammer strength. I like this exercise, but the gym at UGA doesn't have this kind of equipment. I started out with 135 lbs. for a set of 15 reps, and then went up to 185 lbs., and finally ended with 225 lbs. for 8 solid reps. My final exercise was front dumbbell raises. I started out with 30's (a little less than last week), and got a set of 10 reps. I went up to 40's and finished up with 10 solid reps. Since I am not preparing for a contest any time soon, I tore that birthday cake up later that night!!

Good luck!!