It only takes about 20 minutes to prepare this meal, but the cooking time can be up to 10 hours. You place the ingredients in a crockpot, set it to cook on low, and leave it for the day.
If you're going to be at work all day, put the prepped meal in the crockpot in the morning and take it out when you get home. If you're not going to be out all day, set the Crockpot to the high setting and cook for approximately five hours.
By making eight servings at once, you can store extra servings in the refrigerator or freeze them for future nutritious, delicious meals that can be prepared in minutes.
Preparation time: 40 minutes
- 3 lb boneless beef bottom round roast, trimmed of all visible fat
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tbsp Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup red wine (optional)
- 1 can (15 oz) low-fat reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 lb baby carrots
- 2 lb small new potatoes
- Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Add roast and brown on all sides, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Place browned roast in crockpot.
- Add onion slices to skillet and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add paprika, basil, oregano, thyme, and garlic; cook 2 more minutes. Place onion mixture over roast in crockpot.
- Add water, wine, broth, black pepper, carrots, and potatoes to crockpot. Cover and cook until tender, about 10 hours on low heat or 5 hours on high heat.
- Remove roast from the crockpot and set on cutting board. Use a large spoon to skim fat off cooking broth.
- Slice roast and place a portion on each plate along with a portion of potatoes and a serving of carrots. Top sliced roast with a couple spoons of broth. Serve and enjoy!
Serving Size: Recipe makes 8 servings
Back To Fit: Pot Roast PDF (39.8 KB)