Gone are the days of plain toast triangles and jam for breakfast. Oatmeal? Think bigger. Omlettes? Branch out. Pancakes? Think more protein-packed. Enter: protein quiche. Quiche is a great way to pack a golden crust with your favorite fillings, whether they're sweet or savory, and really take advantage of the incredible, edible egg.
For this healthier take on the original, I swapped a butter-filled crust with a simple alterative. I created this crust using only three ingredients: unflavored protein powder, almonds, and egg whites. I kicked it up with a bit of seasoning: some salt, white pepper, onion granules, and paprika. I then filled the quiche with a combination of egg whites, cilantro, and smoked salmon. I finished the whole thing off with three dollops of mascarpone. The result was simply delicious! So delicious, in fact, that you have to try it for yourself.
Ready to give my powerful protein quiche a whirl? Here's the recipe:
- 1/2 cup of Pea Protein Powder, unflavored
(could sub with Rice Protein Powder but not Whey or Casein)
- 1/4 cup of ground Almonds
- 1/2 cup of Liquid Egg Whites
- Seasoning to taste
- Blend the above ingredients until you get a sort of dough.
- Press your dough onto a quiche pan with your fingers. Make sure you cover the bottom and sides of the pan with the dough. Then, stick it in the oven at 325 F (around 160 C) for about 15 minutes, or until it's cooked through.
- Pour your filling of choice into the crust. I just whipped 1 cup of egg whites with 4 oz of smoked salmon, a handful of cilantro, some salt, and a bit of paprika. The filling is really up to you. You can use whole eggs with ham or bacon, spinach and ricotta, red pepper and caramelized onion, or cheddar and broccoli. Make your own wacky combination or stick to the classics! When it comes to filling your protein quiche, the sky's the limit.
- While optional, I finished my quiche off by adding three dollops of mascarpone. Ricotta or another soft, creamy cheese would work too. After all, nothings better than diving into a quiche filled with pockets of creamy, cheesy goodness.
- Bake the whole thing at 375 F (around 190 C) for 15-25 minutes or until your quiche is cooked through. Let it cool before slicing.
Serving Size 1/4 pie
(Recipe yields 4)
Protein Quiche PDF (332KB)