The last 6 weeks have flown by, but not without some serious training and hardcore dieting. My diet is 100% clean now. No eating out at all from about 14 weeks on. I am 10 weeks out today and everything is coming in as planned.
My desire to win is growing as the contest nears. I can imagine right now how it is going to feel when I am the last one standing with my hand held high. But till the day of the contest I am locked, loaded and ready to hit the weights hard and attack that diet.
Right now my training is going great minus a little soreness in my right knee in which some knee wraps helped greatly. I am improving each week. If my numbers are not increasing my rest periods are decreasing. My pumps are out of this world. Now lets get down to brace tacks about what has been going on.
Below you will my simple yet effective approach to contest dieting and training.
Everyday I eat the same foods.
- 2 scoops of Isopure Zero Carb
- Element from SAN:
1 scoop for bicep days
1.5 scoops for chest & triceps and shoulder & triceps workout
2 scoops for back or leg workouts
- 6 oz of top round steak
Meal 5: Pre Workout
Meal 6: Post Workout
Element is a great simple carb to have post workout. I make sure that I have enough simple carbs to help the muscle recover but not too much because I don't want to interfere with the fat loss process of worse off add fat.
As you can see I take in more simple carbs for the bigger muscle groups and less for the smaller as the bigger muscles need more carbs to recover.
- Isopure Zero Carb - Post workout
- First Order - Pre and Post workout
- E2 Voltage - I will have one of these if I need some energy before the workout
- Animal Pak- With meal 1 and 3
- With meal 6 I have 5 grams of L-glutamine & 5 grams of creatine
- Vitamin C - 1000mg with meal 1, 3 & 5
- Fish Oil Capsules - 3 of them with meals 1, 3 & 5
- Glucosamine - 1000mg with meal 1 &5
- Meltdown - 1 pill a day but will increase to 2 for this next segment of my diet
I use a rotating 6 day split and only take a day off when I feel that my body needs it:
- Day 1: Chest, Triceps & Cardio (25 Minutes)
- Day 2: Legs
- Day 3: Biceps & Cardio (25 Minutes)
- Day 4: Shoulders, Triceps & Cardio (25 Minutes)
- Day 5: Back & Cardio (25 Minutes)
- Day 6: Biceps & Cardio (25 Minutes)
As you can see I am working out my biceps and triceps twice a week. But the biceps get their own day as they need a little more work to catch up to my triceps.
I didn't place calves on my split because I work them out every 2-3 days depending on soreness and the results have been great.
Chest & Triceps:
- Flat Barbell Bench Press: 3x8/6/5
- Incline Dumbbell Press: 3x8/8/6
- Decline Barbell Press: 3x12
- Incline Dumbbell Flyes: 3x12/10/8
- Rope Extensions: 3x12
- Close Grip Pushdowns: 3x12
- Reverse Grip Pushdowns: 3x12
- Squats: 3x15
- Stiff-Legged Deadlifts: 3x12/10/8
- Hack Squats: 3x15/12/10
- Barbell Lunges: 3x15 with each leg
- Lying Leg Curls: 3x12 supersetted with
- Dumbbell Lunges: 3x50
- Seated Leg Curls: 3x10
- Seated Smith Machine Front Presses: 3x5
- Dumbbell Side Laterals: 3x12, 5 second negative (drop sets)
- Seated Dumbbell Press: 3x8
- Bent-Over Rear Delt Dumbbell Flyes: 3x15 (drop sets)
- Reverse Flyes: 3x12 (drop sets)
- One-Arm Rope Extensions: 3x12/10/8
- Seated Triceps Press: 3x12/10/8
- Triceps Pushdown: 3x12
- Barbell Rows: 3x12/12/10 supersetted with
- Wide Grip Pulldowns: 3x12/10/8
- Reverse-Grip Barbell Rows: 3x12/12/10 supersetted with
- Underhand Grip Pulldowns: 3x12/10/8
- T-Bar Rows: 3x15/12/10
- Close-Grip Pulldowns: 3x12
- Deadlifts: 3x12/10/10
- EZ-bar Curls: 7x10 with 30 second rest
- Incline Dumbbell Curls: 3x12/10/8
- One-Arm Preacher Curl: 3x12, (drop sets)
- Cable Curls: 2x15
Shoulders & Triceps:
This workout has not changed in the last 6 weeks. It is great and my shoulders are starting to improve and my weights have gone up even while dieting.
As you can see my approach is simple. No carb cycling, fancy foods and exercises, just strict dieting and hardcore lifting. From this point on I will be adding 5 minutes of post-workout cardio until I am up to 45 minutes. At that time I will see if anymore is necessary.
I am a big believer in dieting off body fat and using things like cardio and fat burners as ways to help you through plateaus. That is the reason in which I did very little cardio and no fat burners in the beginning.
I knew dieting can get you only so far and once you hit that first wall I would rather only have to do 20-25 minutes of cardio to break through that plateau rather than increasing my cardio from 25-45/10-14 weeks out from a show. Wouldn't you?
Well that about does it. You got my diet and my workouts. I am coming for that pro card and no one is going to stop me. Contest season is coming up and I hope that my summary of my contest prep can help you out. If you have any questions regarding competing or anything in fitness drop me an email I would love to help you out.