Saturday, November 8, 2003
- Dexter Jackson (USA)* (HUGE UPSET!)
- Jay Cutler (USA)*
- Kevin Levrone (USA)*
- Dennis James (USA)
- Gunter Schlierkamp (Germany)
- Darrem Charles (Trinidad)
- Chris Cormier (USA)
- Melvin Anthony (USA)
- Toney Freeman (USA)
- Johnnie Jackson (USA)
- George Farah (USA)
- Rodney St. Cloud (USA)
- Aaron Maddron (USA)
- Stan McCrary (USA)
- Claude Groulx (Canada)
*Qualifies for the 2004 Olympia contest.
PICTURES: View pictures from the men's show.
What is your opinion of the results? Post them.
More pics and more commentary coming very soon!
Zach Marcy's Men's Show Commentary
Justice was served! Guys, I don't know HOW he did it but Dexter actually improved on perfect daytime conditioning during the evening. Here is some commentary and the overall results from 1-15:
1. Dexter Jackson: Picture of perfection. NO ONE deserved this more. My wife and I managed to walk in the same time he was entering into the the building for the night show. We bee-lined directly too him and told him that "the show is yours, kick some ass." Dexter is so soft spoken and almost seemed like he didn't believe me.
The judges made Dexter work in prejudging. He must have been on stage being compared to EVERYONE for 25-30 minutes straight. After seeing the official scorecards it showed that Dexter won EVERY round and finished with a perfect score.
Guys, I've become a HUGE Dexter fan after seeing this class act in action. Humble and an awesome physique. Dexter has arrived!
2. Jay Cutler: He came in a lot sharper during the evening too. Dropped some water and tightened up a bit.
3. Kevin Levrone: Flex was in the audience giving Kevin hell during prejudging. The master poser and entertainer looked on top of his game, even despite his lack in leg size. In spite of that I would flip flop him and Dennis James.
4. Dennis James: Truly deserved 3rd or even 2nd. He was very distended in the morning and visably ill. He was a completely different athlete at night. He and Chad corrected EVERYTHING that was wrong with him. His belly came down a good inch, he looked like he had his electrolyte health back, and was shredded down to his glutes.
5. Gunter Schlierkamp: The absolute crowd favorite! He was a bit out classed by the others. He was on his conditioning, but a bit smaller than he was at the same show last year.
6. Darrem Charles: It's hard not to like this guy. My friend, VPX rep Eric Brosen (aka BodyFX2), was raving about Darrem's lines and hardness commenting that he had a chance to be in the top 4. He was close, I had Chris Cormier over him, but I'm also a fan of the larger guys with nice lines. He had the second best routine of the evening.
7. Chris Cormier: He was off and a little small for him, but he was still one of the top athletes, not at his best. A little watery and flat, but he still has some of the freakiest hamstring and quad tie-in's in the business. He got harder and harder as he posed. Had he been that tight and visably hard from the word "go" he probably would have placed higher.
8. Melvin Anthony: THE BEST routine of the evening. How this guy can do the limbo at his size is amazing. Visably improved in his weak area, the hamstring and glutes, he still needs to keep coming down a bit and he will start cracking the higher spots.
9. Toney Freeman: He ACTUALLY got the first call out of the prejudging! His weaknesses (lack of arm and chest size) were pretty obvious. Yet, his legs are simply awesome and his back is like the wingspan of a jumbo jet. Big things to come from him in the near future.
10. Johnnie Jackson: Hard as nails, and big for a little guy. It didn't help him that Dexter and he are the same height yet Dexter was harder and fuller. Since they have the most comparable bodies it really made JJ look small. He will be a better pro once he stacks on a little more size.
11. George Farah: Standing alone, George has a complete physique. It's being compared that he gets a little lost in the crowd. He is a short guys champion. His stomach scar aside, which he can use to his advantage, he doesn't have many visable weaknesses except the lack of height. This was an accurate placing for him.
12. Rodney St. Cloud: He proved me wrong because he came in completely off his conditioning. I was saying how he opened some eyes this year and too watch him in this show. He will get better, but didn't hold his conditioning well at all. He is young and will be a top pro in a few years.
13. Aaron Maddron: Mr. Intensity is a bit odd in proportions. He suffers from a lack of chest size, but has a good back and arms. This was an accurate placing for him.
14. Stan "Curly Top" McCrary: The girls sure liked him shaking his butt on stage. He came in better than he's looked in a few years. He isn't the same bodybuilder that won the North Americans to get his pro card. His belly was the largest on stage and he needed to come down another 8-10lbs to hit his conditioning. He once had some of the best looking legs, but lacks the depth and separation he once had.
15. Claude Groulx: OFF. Sorry Claude, I'm a fan, but you missed it here. The last three guys could be exchanged with one another, but the Masters Olympia champion didn't hit his mark. He still had impressive legs and has awesome delts.
Friday, November 7, 2003
- Susie Curry (USA)*
- Adela Garcia-Friedmansky (USA)*
- Jennifer Hendershott (USA)*
- Stacy Hylton (USA)
- Anna Level (USA)
- Tracey Greenwood (USA)
- Tanji Johnson (USA)
- Julie Palmer (USA)
- Laura Mak (USA)
- Julie Childs (USA)
- (tie) Nicole Rollolazo (USA)
Laurie Vaniman (USA)
- Shannon Meteraud (USA)
- Kary Odiatu (Canada)
*Qualifies for the 2004 Fitness Olympia contest.
PICTURES: View pictures from the fitness show.
Friday, November 7, 2003
- Jenny Lynn (USA)*
- Monica Brant (USA)*
- Dina Al-Sabah (Kuwait)*
- Mari Kudla (USA)
- Jaime Franklin (USA)
- Elaine Goodlad (Canada)
- Sharon Kouvaras (USA)
- Christine Bergeron (Canada)
- Kim Chizevsky (USA)
- Tammie Leady (USA)
- Sharon Christian (USA)
- Lesli Russell (USA)
- Adrian Chastain (USA)
- Debbie Kruck (USA)
*Qualifies for 2004 Figure Olympia contest.
PICTURES: View pictures from the figure show.
Zach Marcy's Fitness And Figure Commentary
In the figure show, Kim Chizevsky looked AWESOME! Here is my take on why she didn't place. Kim was 2-3 inches taller and much more full in muscle than ANYONE on stage. She was against women in the 5'3 range with half the muscle of her.
As for Jenny Lynn over Monica Brand, or even Dina Al-Sabah, I'm at a loss. It's nothing personal against Jenny, but sitting on the FRONT ROW my wife and I had a better seat than even the judges and we were absolutely floored that Jenny beat Monica. Monica has such a beautiful physique with AWESOME separation in the legs that Jenny lacked. After the show Bob remarked that Monica should have won as well.
They really need to get the judging criteria ironed out because most of the fans are really baffled at the subjectivity of this category.
This was Susie Curry's last competition ever. Stacy Hylton had the best routine of the evening. The crowd favorite was Laura Mak. Her smile was amazing and her energy was unparalelled.
I'll have pictures and a break down of the show within a few days. Expect AWESOME pictures and my write up for Bodybuilding.com.
Thanks to Bodybuilding.com for their support of my wife and myself at the Show of Strength. FYI: We have some GREAT candid photos coming soon.
GET YOUR EXPO PHOTO: Get your expo photo here.
Previous Contest Reports And Pics