- Name: Thomas McMenamy
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Age: 38
- Where: Salisbury, Maryland
- Height: 5'6"
- Weight: 180 lbs
- Years Bodybuilding :6
- Favorite Bodypart: Legs
- Favorite Exercise: Hack Squats
- Favorite Supplements: Met-Rx Protein Revolution
How Did You Get Started?
I began at almost age 25. With no experience in resistance training, I was using weight training to rehabilitate torn ligaments in my ankle from a soccer injury. After only a year of training I tried my first contest and got hooked, then soccer was a memory.
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
With a rotating work schedule as a Police Officer I train every day possible. I train often and only take about 5-7 days off a month. I always use progressive resistance and increasing weight with each set. I do drop sets on my last set on most exercises to fully exhaust each muscle group. I stay in the repetition range of 8-12 except for abs which I stay above 20 each set with my own bodyweight.
- Incline Barbell Bench Press: 4-5 sets of 8-12 reps
- Incline Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Flat Barbell Bench Press: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Machine Bench Press: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Cable Or Machine Flyes: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Weighted Pull Ups: 4-5 add sets of 8-12 reps
- Bent Over Barbell Rows: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Close Grip Rows: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Cable Pulldowns: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Smith Machine Shrugs: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Barbell Deadlifts: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Machine Shoulder Presses: 4-5 sets of 8-12 reps
- Dumbbell Shoulder Presses: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Behind Neck Barbell Presses: 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Lateral Dumbbell Raises: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Reverse Flyes: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Upright Rows: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Decline Crunches: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Hanging Leg Raises: 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Barbell Preacher Curls: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Machine Curls: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Standing Barbell Curls: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Seated Dumbbell Curls: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Weighted Dips: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Barbell Skull Crushers: 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Cable Triceps Extensions: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Leg Extensions: 4-5 sets of 8-12 reps
- Leg Presses: 5 sets of 8-12 reps
- Barbell Squat: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Hack Squats: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Lying Leg Curls: 4 sets of 8-12 reps
- Standing Machine Leg Curls: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Seated Leg Curls: 3 sets of 8-12 reps
- Seated or Standing Calf Raises: 4-5 set of 8-12 reps
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
Off season I eat whatever I want. But I limit myself to snack foods and breads on training days only.
On season diet looks something like this:
- 2 scoops whey protein
- 2 scoops whey protein
- 2 scoops whey protein
- 1 scoop whey protein
- 2 baked tilapia fillets
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
- Met-Rx 100% Ultramyosyn Whey: 1-2 scoops
- Prolab Glutamine: 5g
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
I found that bodybuilding has not only saved my life but has brought me closer to my family. I want to use my experience to show what can be done with a second chance. Not only as a survivor, but also as Natural Bodybuilder. I truly believe that all it takes is heart and determination to become successful at this sport.
I have the support and backing of a great wife and awesome friends which proves that bodybuilding is a team sport.
What Motivates You To Follow A Healthy Lifestyle?
I began competing in the fall of 1998 in the NABF Maine Super Natural. It was my first contest with only a year of weight training under my belt. I placed 2nd in the Men's Open.
What Made You Want To Achieve Your Goals?
I began an intense training and diet regimen for The NPC Syracuse NY Ironman Classic the summer of 2000 which I placed 2nd in the Men's Open Middleweight Class. The following week I placed 2nd in the Men's Open Middleweight Class in the NPC Rochester NYS Championship. This was done only a year after I was cancer free.
In 2001 I won the Middleweight class in the NPC Syracuse Ironman Classic qualifying me for National Competition.
In 2002 I placed 2nd In the NPC Syracuse Ironman Classic Middleweight class then won the Middleweight class In the Rochester NYS Championship the following week. I then hit the gym harder than ever to get ready for my first National Competition.
This year just 15 weeks out from the OCB Charm City Classic in Baltimore MD on Oct 9th, my 17 year old son wanted to try to step on the competitive stage. After just a week of training him, he convinced me to give it one more shot after over 8 years off. I decided to get up there with him.
I was able to win the Short class in the contest, while my son placed 4th in both the Men's Open and Novice classes! I became hooked on the sport one more time.
The following week I won the Middleweight Class in the USBF East Coast Championship Pro-Am and just missed a Pro Qualification. My son placed 2nd in the Men's Novice Class!
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
I am now on a quest to get my son to the Pro stage, and meanwhile going on a quest for a Pro card for myself.
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
It's 90% in your training. Train like you are competing with everyone around you because in a sense you really are.
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
What Features Do You Use On Bodybuilding.com?