- Name: Suzanne Germano
- E-mail: Suzanne@fitsuzanne.com
- Age: 45
- Where: Buffalo Grove, Illinois
- Height: 5'1"
- Weight: 123 Contest
- Years Bodybuilding :14
- Favorite Bodypart: Legs
- Favorite Exercise: Leg Extension Triple Drop
- Favorite Supplements: Professional Supplements Karbolyn, And Vyper
How Did You Get Started?
My journey into bodybuilding began in 1995 when I was very overweight and joined a gym for the first time. In 2002, I competed in my first bodybuilding competition. I did two more that year and one in 2003. Having come from being overweight, I had a fear of getting "fat" again so I switched to figure for 2004 and 2006 thinking it was a way to continue to compete but also stay small.
In 2007, my trainer, Jeremy Minihan, suggested I go back to bodybuilding and that is what I did for Jr. Nationals that year. I couldn't be happier!
I truly enjoy every aspect of bodybuilidng: the heavy lifting, making necessary changes to my physique, watching the changes unfold as I diet for a show and being up on stage knowing I put everything I had into it. I have met so many wonderful people doing this sport.
The highlight of my competing was winning the middleweight class and the overall at the 2009 NPC Jr. Nationals. I was so excited and shocked! I could not believe that was me; the once fat person who didn't want to be seen was the overall winner in a national level bodybuilding competiton. Words can't descibe the feeling.
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
I find my body responds best to a lot of variation. I vary my exercises, sets, rep ranges, whether I use supersets or straight sets every week.
Here is an example of just one week
- Leg Extensions: 4 sets of 15-30 reps
- Dumbbell Lunges: 4 sets of 8 reps
- Barbell Squats: 4 sets of 12-15 reps
- Leg Press: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Lying Leg Curls: 4 sets of 15 reps
- Seated Leg Curls: 3 sets of 12 reps
- Donkey Calf Raises: 4 sets of 15 reps
- Standing Calf Raises: 4 sets of 15 reps
Monday: Chest And Shoulders
- Incline Dumbbell Press: 5 sets of 12-15 reps
- Cable Crossovers: 4 sets of 10-15 reps
- Incline Barbell Press: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Bench Press: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Military Press: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Lateral Raises: 4 sets of 20 reps
Tuesday: Arms And Calves
- Cable Curls: 4 sets of 15 reps
- EZ-Bar Curls: 5 sets of 10 reps
- Preacher Curls: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- High Cable Curls: 4 sets of 10-12 reps
- Triceps Pushdowns: 5 sets of 8-15 reps
- Skullcrushers: 3 sets of 8 reps
- Rope Pushdowns: 4 sets of 8-15 reps
- Calf Raises On Leg Press: 4 sets of 10-15 reps
Wednesday: Back And Rear Delts
- Pullups: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Seated Cable Rows: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Lat Pulldowns: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Deadlifts: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Rear Delt Raises: 3 sets of 12-15 reps
Thursday: Abs And Calves
- Lying Leg Raises: 4 sets of 15 reps
- Oblique Crunches: 3 sets of 10-15 reps
- Seated Calf Raises: 4 sets of 12-15 reps
- Cable Crunches: 4 sets of 30 reps
- Hanging Leg Raises: 3 sets of 20 reps
- Jackknife Sit-Ups: 4 sets of 20-25 reps
- Dumbbell Press: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Upright Barbell Rows: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Lateral Raises: 4 sets of 8-10 reps
- Military Press: 4 sets of 6-10 reps
- Reverse Flyes: 4 sets of 15-20 reps
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
I found I respond best to high carb, moderate protein and low fat. My nutrition program changes based on contest prep, maintenance, or bulking. I eat 6-8 meals all consisting of complex carbs and lean protein.
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
- Professional Supplements Pure Karbolyn
- Professional Supplements Vyper
- BSN NO-Xplode
- IDS Multi-Pro Whey
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
It is something I can do that I do not feel my vision limits me. I was born legally blind and was unable to participate in sports as a child. I love the challenge of each and every workout to try to push myself hard and the changes it will make in my physique.
What Motivates You To Follow A Healthy Lifestyle?
I never want to be overweight again. I like having a muscular physique.
What Made You Want To Achieve Your Goals?
Initially it was just weight loss now it is to continuously improve my physique and be better each time I step on stage.
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
Currently I'm prepping for 2009 NPC Nationals Bodybuilding Middleweight.
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
Enjoy the journey. It is a long term journey and if you improve each time you step on stage then you have won.
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
What Features Do You Use On Bodybuilding.com?