Amateur Fitness Competitor of the Week: Safiya Johnson

Amateur Fitness Competitor of the Week: Safiya Johnson! - Pics and info and more!
  • Name: Safiya Johnson
  • E-mail: Fitchick003@yahoo.com
  • Age: 22
  • Where: Columbia, South Carolina
  • Height: 5'3"
  • Weight: 125 lbs
  • Years Bodybuilding :6
  • Favorite Bodypart: Shoulders
  • Favorite Exercise: Shoulders
  • Favorite Supplements: IsoPure Protein, BCAA

How Did You Get Started?

I was first exposed to competitive fitness in high school when I was 14. I had watched it on ESPN and my school happened to hold the annual SC High School Bodybuilding and Fitness Championships.

I come from a cheerleading background and loved performing so this was right up my alley. Also having an older sister who competes as a Pro with the IFBB didn't hurt either. She was able to "show me the ropes" and help prepare for my first few shows.

Safiya Johnson
+ Click To Enlarge.
Safiya Johnson.

What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?

My training changes throughout the year. I try not to get stuck with one routine for too long, otherwise my body will stop responding to it.

  • Monday - Hams, Glutes
  • Tuesday - Backs, Traps, Triceps
  • Wednesday - Chest, Delts
  • Thursday - OFF
  • Friday - Quads, Calves
  • Saturday - Delts, Rear Delts, Biceps
  • Sunday - OFF

dots
arrow Monday:
dots

dots
arrow Tuesday:
dots

dots
arrow Wednesday:
dots

    Chest

    Rest 60-90 sec
    Do a warm up set first of 20 reps with 20s (DB chest press)
    Then 4 sets of each exercise (Flex pecs throughout movement, pause at the bottom of the press)

  • Flat bench press- 30s 4 x 10
  • Incline DB press- 25s 4 x 10-12
  • Pec Dec machine- 4 x 10-12
  • Push ups (full range) 3 sets of max reps (Document your reps)
  • Shoulders

    Rest 60-90 sec
    Do a warm up set first of 15 reps with 15s (Military press)

  • DB Military Press- 20- 25s 4 x 10-12 (Slow, pause at bottom, don't lock out arms)
  • Lateral raise pyramid- 20s, 15s, 10s, 5s 4 x 8 (Go all the way down to the 5s NO going back up. Bend arms with heavy weight, then straighten arms as the weight drops)
  • print Click Here For A Printable Log Of Wednesday.

dots
arrow Friday:
dots

dots
arrow Saturday:
dots

What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?

As of recently I have been following the "blood type" diet. It varies from day to day depending on if it's a weight training day or not, but I pretty much eat 5 small portion meals a day.

  • Meal 1: Protein Shake and Oatmeal
  • Meal 2: Fish, veggies, and brown rice
  • Meal 3: Protein Shake
  • Meal 4: Fish or beef, veggies, and Ezekiel bread
  • Meal 5: Fish or beef, and veggies

What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?

Why do you love Bodybuilding?

Fitness has changed my life. Compared to the average person, I always feel like I am one step ahead of the game when it comes to nutrition and training. Not to mention, it has given me a healthy perspective on what my body can achieve.

Safiya Johnson
+ Click To Enlarge.
Safiya Johnson.

What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?

In 2008, I hope to earn a pro card in Fitness. It's been a goal of mine ever since I was 16 from the first time I stepped on stage.

I would love to use this platform as an avenue for other opportunities both in the fitness industry and mainstream arena. I hope to gain some exposure through some of my favorite fitness magazines and be a positive influence to my fellow peers.

What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?

Life is 20% chance and 80% you going out there and being pro-active about the things you want. When you compete in an industry filled with beautiful women and exceptional physiques you have to look beyond that and ask yourself why you're different. And most importantly do it for yourself.

Safiya Johnson
+ Click To Enlarge.
Safiya Johnson.

Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?