- Name: Phil Cooper
- E-mail: None
- Age: 49
- Where: Tampa, FL
- Height: 6'0"
- Weight: 270 Lbs Off 230 Lbs Contest
- Years Bodybuilding :31
- Favorite Bodypart: Lats
- Favorite Exercise: Bent Over Barbell Rows
- Favorite Supplements: Beverly International
How Did You Get Started?
I saw the 1973 Mr. Olympia on a black and white TV when I was 13 years old and was hooked after seeing Arnold.
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
My Coach, Tim Gardner of Body Tech, tailors my workout plan depending on what phase of training I'm in. Right now I'm 270 but am training for increased detail as I slowly take the bodyweight down for competition in July and September.
Monday - Chest/Calves/Abs:
- Dumbbell Bench Press: 4 sets of 15, 10, 10, 8 reps
- Incline Dumbbell Bench Press: 4 sets of 12, 10, 10, and 8 reps
- Dumbbell Flyes: 3 sets of 12, 10 and 10 reps
- Standing Calves: 5 sets of 15 reps
- Seated Calves: 5 sets of 10 reps
- Sit-Ups: 6 sets of 25 reps
- Ab Machine: 6 sets of 25 reps
Wide Grip Barbell Bench: 3 sets of 10, 10 and 10 reps
Dips: 2 sets to failure
Tuesday - Biceps/Hamstrings:
- Standing Barbell Curls: 3 sets of 12, 10 and 10 reps
- Standing EZ-Bar Curls: 3 sets of 10, 10 and 8 reps
- Incline Dumbbell Curls: 3 sets of 10, 10 and 10 reps
- Preacher Curls Straight Bar: 3 Sets of 7 reps
- Walking Dumbbell Lunges: 3 sets of 20, 20 and 20 reps
- Stiff Legged Deadlifts: 4 sets of 15, 10, 10 and 8 reps
- Lying Leg Curls: 4 sets of 12, 10, 10 and 10 reps
- 10 Minute Stepper with Heavy Resistance
Wednesday - Delts/Triceps/Abs:
- Seated Barbell Press: 3 sets of 12, 10 and 10 reps
- Seated Dumbbell Arnold Press: 3 sets of 10, 10 and 10 reps
- Narrow Grip Barbell Upright Row: 3 sets of 12, 10 and 8 reps
- Rear Dumbbell Raises: 3 sets of 12, 10 and 10 reps
- Close Grip Bench Press: 3 sets of 15, 12 and 10 reps
- Overhead Single Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 12, 10 and 10 reps
- Lying Tricep Extensions: 3 sets of 12, 10 and 10 reps
- Reverse Grip Single Cable Pressdowns: 3 sets of 10, 10 and 10 reps
- Hanging Leg Raises: 6 sets of 25 reps
- Tuck Crunch: 6 sets of 15 reps
Thursday - Quadriceps/Calves:
- Leg Extensions: 2 sets of 15 and 12 reps
- Squats: 4 sets of 15, 12, 10, and 8 reps
- Leg Press: 3 sets of 12, 10 and 8 reps
- Calves on Leg Press: 5 sets of 15, 15, 12, 12 and 10 reps
Friday - Back/Traps/Abs:
- Chin-Ups: 3 sets to failure
- Bent Over Barbell Row: 5 sets of 15, 12, 10, 10 and 10 reps
- Lat Pulldown: 4 sets of 12, 10, 10 and 10 reps
- Seated Wide Grip Cable Row: 3 sets of 12, 10 and 10 reps
- Barbell Shrugs to the Front: 4 sets of 12, 10, 10 and 8 reps
- Barbell Shrugs to the Rear: 4 sets of 12, 10, 10 and 8 reps
- Dumbbell Shrugs: 2 sets of 12 and 10 reps
- Crunches Ab Machine: 6 sets of 25 reps
- Cable Crunch: 6 sets of 20 reps
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
Tim Gardner tailors my nutrition plan according to what phase of training I'm in. Right now I weigh 270 and have been training for increased lean muscle mass so my carb and red meat intake is quite high. He will tweak that by seeing me every two weeks and modifying the diet and supplementation accordingly. The closer to a show I get, the more stringent my nutrition plan becomes (e.g., turkey breast, fish vs. red meat and decreased carbs) and the more often Tim sees me for modifications.
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
I enjoy sculpting the body and presenting it as an art form. While John Q Public tends to see bodybuilders as being narcissistic you will find the majority of serious bodybuilders tend to view their physiques separate from themselves and more as art works in progress.
What Motivates You To Follow A Healthy Lifestyle?
I look around and see a lot of overweight people or folks that smoke and drink to excess and it's just not healthy. I enjoy stepping on-stage against guys half my age and doing well. I supposed that's what motivates me. Well, that and my soul mate and workout partner, Maria Flores (one of your past Over-40 winners and the '08 All Forces and '09 Southern States and Extravaganza Over-40 Champion) is also a competitive bodybuilder so I have to try and keep up with her! When your life partner shares your passion for the same sport, it really makes things much easier.
What Made You Want To Achieve Your Goals?
Fear of failure has been the most important motivator for me, both in bodybuilding and life in general.
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
After taking the Mid-Florida Muscle Classic Over-40; Tampa Extravaganza Over-40 and Southeast USA Over-35 titles this past season, I have set my sights on the Masters Nationals in Pittsburg this July and the IFBB North American in Cleveland in August. I will have just turned 50 so am excited about competing in that class.
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
Stay motivated and train for the long-term. There are no shortcuts. Eat clean, train intensely but smartly and rest.
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
What Features Do You Use On Bodybuilding.com?
These amazing teenagers have made changes in their lives that most adults only dream about!
Age is no excuse for these over 40 men and women who have decided to feel and look young again!
|Share This Article: