- Name: Maria Flores
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Age: 49
- Where: Tampa, FL
- Height: 5'3.5"
- Weight: 105
- Years Bodybuilding :3
- Favorite Bodypart: Biceps
- Favorite Exercise: Standing Barbell Curls
- Favorite Supplements: Bev. Lean Out; Bev Energy; and Bev Muscle Provider
How Did You Get Started?
I have always tried to keep myself in shape through jogging and proper diet. I always wanted to compete in a bodybuilding competition and when I started seeing my fiancé, Phil Cooper (an accomplished competitive bodybuilder), we started training together and I competed in the Lakeland Classic in Lakeland, FL in 2007. I "got the bug" and have done a total of nine competitions so far.
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
|TERMS YOU'LL NEED TO KNOW|
Pre-contest workout plan 10-days prior to a show that works best for me consists of the following:
- 45 minutess of cardio (speedwalk) on treadmill at 04:30 a.m. on an empty stomach.
- 45 mins of cardio on the elliptical machine or speedwalk on pavement after weight session in evening.
- Power Squats: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Front Squats: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Full Leg Press: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Leg Extensions: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Lunges: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Kickbacks: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Leg Curls: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Single Leg Curls: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Stiff-Legged Deadlifts: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Dumbbell Pullovers: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Dumbbell Incline Press: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Dumbbell Bench Press: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Full Dips: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- High Pulley Cable Crossovers: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Low Pulley Cable Crossovers: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Dumbbell Flyes: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Seated Arnold Dumbbell Presses: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Shoulder Press: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Front Cable Raises: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Dumbbell Side Laterals: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Dumbbell Rear Laterals: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Hanging Leg Raises: 3 Sets To Failure
- Leg Pull-In: 3 Sets To Failure
- High Pulley Cable Crunches: 3 Sets To Failure
- Standing Calves: 3 Sets Of 20 Reps
- Seated Calves: 3 Sets Of 20 Reps
- Leg Press: 3 Sets Of 20 Reps
- Lat Pulldowns: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- V-Grip Pulldowns: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Reverse-Grip Pulldowns: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Bent-Over Rows: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Seated Cable Rows: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Shoulder Shrugs: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Dumbbell Shoulder Shrugs: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Behind-The-Back Shrugs: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Bent-Knee Deadlifts: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Hyperextensions: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Crunches: 3 Sets To Failure
- Ab Machine: 3 Sets To Failure
- Decline Sit-Ups: 3 Sets To Failure
- Barbell Curls: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Dumbbell Incline Curls: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Concentration Dumbbell Curls: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- High Cable Double Bicep Curls: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Close-Grip Bench Presses: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Rope Pressdowns: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Reverse-Grip Pressdowns: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Dumbbell Tricep Kickbacks: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Hammer Curls: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Reverse Grip Barbell Curls: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Russian Twist: 3 Sets To Failure
- Side Ab Sit-ups: 3 Sets To Failure
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
I am currently preparing for the Hurricane and Typhoon Bay as well as the All Forces National Bodybuilding Championships and my current daily nutrition consists of the following (includes up to one gallon of water per day):
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
I employ a variety of nutritional supplements with the majority produced by Beverly International. In particular, I really like Bev ZMA as it helps me to get solid restful sleep which is so necessary during peak training periods. Also, Bev Lean Out, Bev Energy, and Bev's delicious Muscle Provider protein shake.
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
I love bodybuilding because you carry the results with you. At 49 years of age and a grandmother, adhering to a bodybuilding lifestyle promotes and enhances a youthful appearance and is healthy. I also really enjoy the competitive dimension. The thrill and excitement of coming into a competition in top form really can't be matched.
What Motivates You To Follow A Healthy Lifestyle?
As I age, I want to ensure I do everything possible to look my best. A healthy lifestyle with a good balance of training, nutrition, supplements coupled with the other major components of life (family, friends, work, etc.) ensures I stay well-rounded, looking as good as I can, and stay healthy. In addition, it motivates me to continue this regiment, as I have been told by so many that I inspire them to change their lifestyle for the better, especially when they know how old I am.
What Made You Want To Achieve Your Goals?
Competitive bodybuilding (to me) is one of the most difficult and beautiful sports/efforts I have ever attempted. If you can succeed in competitive bodybuilding and maintain a healthy lifestyle for the long-term, you can achieve any goal you set your mind to!
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
I qualified for the Masters Nationals (Level VI) so will be looking towards Pittsburg and Cleveland (National Masters and IFBB North American). As a non-drug enhanced competitor, I am also looking at next year's Team Universe and a number of other tested competitions.
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
Be flexible and be determined. Life presents many challenges. Have a plan and stick to it. When obstacles arise, be flexible and work around them to ensure you get your training and nutrition in. Be determined so that you will succeed.
Look long-term and stay focused! Oh, and do not over-train or under-eat. Many forget that no matter how hard you train, if you don't eat right, you won't make any gains.
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
Female Bodybuilders: I have always admired Cory Everson, Rachel McLish, and Betty Pariso. Cory and Rachel were the forerunners for today's female competitors and blazed the trail with their feminine muscularity. Betty is just plain awesome and I recently had the honor of competing in (and won) the amateur masters division of Tim Gardner's NPC Extravaganza while Betty was in (and won) the IFBB Pro Tampa Bodybuilding Weekly Division. Being backstage in the same pump-up room with her was truly inspiring. I look forward to seeing Betty compete in this year's Olympia Weekend.
Male Bodybuilders: My fiancés, workout partner, and soul mate, Phil Cooper, has inspired me the most. Phil has been competing since 1979 and has won many district, state, and regional titles and continues to compete and win. Tim Gardner of Body * Tech and Fitness Emporium in Tampa, FL and a former national level competitor is my coach and has made really fantastic improvements to my physique through his extensive knowledge of nutrition, food supplements, and training.
Jay Cutler has to be my favorite male professional. I had the honor of seeing him guest pose at the most recent Dexter Jackson Classic and his combination of incredible size, muscularity, definition and boyish charm will serve him well in this year's Olympia Weekend. I look forward to seeing him compete later this month. I look forward to seeing him compete later this month when we go to watch the Olympia Competition in Las Vegas on September 25-26.
What Features Do You Use On Bodybuilding.com?
Bodybuilding.com offers such a wide variety of exciting and informative forums. You can read about fellow competitors, explore new training, nutrition, and supplement regimens, get the latest results on amateur and professional competitions and purchase just about everything needed for a bodybuilding/fitness lifestyle at the best possible value. One-stop shopping and I just love it!
These amazing teenagers have made changes in their lives that most adults only dream about!
Age is no excuse for these over 40 men & women who have decided to feel and look young again!