- Name: Herb Biesinger
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Age: 55
- Where: Woods Cross, Utah
- Height: 5'10"
- Weight: 170 Lbs
- Years Bodybuilding :10
- Favorite Bodypart: Shoulders
- Favorite Exercise: Side Lateral Raises
- Favorite Supplements: Multivitamins, Protein, L-Glutamine
How Did You Get Started?
I have always been intrigued (and jealous) of the motivation it takes to be a bodybuilder. Finally when my bodyweight hit 185lbs, I decided to do something about it. I weighed 175 lbs all through high school and was constantly participating in sports so I was in good shape. I maintained a high activity level for several years after that until my mid thirties when my weight went up to 185 lbs.
I started by changing my diet, staying away from bad fats. A few years later I joined a gym and started an exercise regimen. That eventually led to a motivation to put forth the additional effort to concentrate on bodybuilding. At 53 years old one of the personal trainers at the Gold's Gym, where I workout, suggested I try competition; so I entered my first competition at age 54.
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
I workout 5 days a week, if schedule permits. If I can only find 4 days in the week I double up on one day and decrease sets by about 33% but do more supersets. I always rest at least 2 days a week. I also try to change the types of sets I do for each muscle group every 4 weeks to keep the muscles guessing (or change the weight, to vary the reps needed to reach fatigue). Bodybulding.com articles are a great resource for ways to vary these exercises.
Typically, I do 4 to 6 different exercises, doing 3 sets of 8 to 12 reps for each exercise, for each muscle group. I always start with a warm up set before doing any heavy sets, and I also concentrate on the negative portion of the reps, especially the last 2 or 3 reps.
Here's a typical weekly workout:
Day 1 - Chest:
- Flat Bench Barbell Press: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Incline Bench Press: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Machine Bench Press: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Cable Crossovers: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Dumbbell Flyes: 3 sets of 10 reps
Day 2 - Back/Abs:
- Seated Cable Rows: 3 sets of 10 reps
- One-Arm Dumbbell Row: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Ab Crunch Machine: 2 sets of 50 reps
- Cable Crunch: 1 set of 30 reps
Wide Grip Pull-Ups: 3 sets of 10 reps
Narrow Grip Pull-ups: 3 sets of 10 reps
Day 3 - Shoulders/Traps:
- Dumbbell Shrugs: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Machine Military Press: 3 sets of 10 reps
Rear Barbell Military Press: 3 sets of 10 reps
Side Lateral Raises: 3 sets of 10 reps
Arnold Dumbbell Press: 3 sets of 10 reps
Dumbbell Front Raises: 3 sets of 10 reps
Day 4 - Legs/Abs:
- Bicycle: 10 minutes
- Leg Presses: 2 sets of 20 reps
- Leg Extension: 3 sets of 10 repsreps
- Front Squats: 2 sets of 10 reps
- Standing Calve Raises: 2 sets of 10 reps
- Calf Press: 2 sets of 20 reps
- Decline Crunches: 2 sets of 50 reps
- Ab Crunch Machine: 2 sets of 50 reps
Day 5 - Biceps/Triceps:
- Overhead Cable Curl: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Barbell Preacher Curl: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Hammer Curls: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Concentration Curls: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Close Grip Bench Press: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Skull Crushers: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Straight Bar Pushdowns: 3 sets of 10 reps
- Overhead Dumbbell Tricep Press: 3 sets of 10 reps
Days 6 And 7: Rest
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
I enjoy food so my diet isn't extremely strict. However, I do make sure my meals always avoid the bad fats and contain plenty of fruits and vegetables. I also try to watch my salt and sugar intake. I always drink water with my meals.
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
- Multivitamin every morning
- L-Glutamine every morning and post workout
- AAKG 1 hour prior to workout
- BCAAs pre workout
- Corn Maltodextrin drink during first half of work out
- Whey Protein drink mid day and post workout
- Casein Protein before bedtime
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
Self confidence, and the compliments I receive. Getting a compliment from someone who thinks your body, or a part of your body, looks great is such a natural high and you feel like the hard work and disciplined diet is all worth it. I am constantly getting asked "If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?" And then they express their amazement and say "I hope I look half that good when I am your age". Hopefully I can help inspire others to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
What Motivates You To Follow A Healthy Lifestyle?
I still enjoy staying very active - playing softball, basketball, playing with my 14 grandchildren, fishing etc. A healthy lifestyle helps me avoid injury (my mind still thinks I'm 30 so I participate in my activities accordingly), and soreness when I play hard. I also participated in my first ever mini triathlon last year and look forward to being able to that some more.
What Made You Want To Achieve Your Goals?
I want to hold back Father Time as long as possible. I really enjoy an active lifestyle and want to have the health to do that.
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
I plan to continue working hard at the gym and eating properly, but my future competition plans are on hold until such time that I can find a local "Masters 50" division.
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
Consistency, consistency, and consistency. Make note of your progress and take pride in it - it will help keep you motivated. Make several friends at your gym (most of them are very friendly) - you can inspire each other to continue to be there and complete your workout 100% while you're there. And don't forget that diet is the other half of the equation - you don't want to waste all the hard work at the gym.
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
I'm old school - Arnold
What Features Do You Use On Bodybuilding.com?
The supplements I take were all decided upon after reading and studying the many articles on supplements available. The SuperSite also has numerous articles that help keep me motivated, and there are several new exercise regimens suggested that help me vary my workouts so I can keep shocking my muscles. I love the service I receive from Bodybuilding.com. I place my orders in the afternoon and they are at my home when I get home the next day.
These amazing teenagers have made changes in their lives that most adults only dream about!
Age is no excuse for these over 40 men & women who have decided to feel and look young again!
|Share This Article: