- Name: Donna Kay Duncan
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Age: 53
- Where: Lubbock, Texas
- Height: 5' 2''
- Weight: 110 Lbs.
- Years Bodybuilding :7
- Favorite Bodypart: Abs
- Favorite Exercise: All Back Exercises
- Favorite Supplements: Labrada Pro V60 vanilla protein
How Did You Get Started?
When I was 36 I had a cancer scare. It was treated and all was fine. However, it made me realize that I needed to make some changes. I had never been athletic at all. My drink of choice was Coca-Cola. I had two children I wanted to be healthy for. So, I bought a treadmill and a Tony Little workout tape. I walked on the treadmill 3 times a week and did a total body workout three times a week and rested on Sunday. I did that until my daughter was 16 and wanted to join a gym to tone up for modeling. We worked out together for a while, but she didn't like it. I, on the other hand, was hooked. I loved it!
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
I have found that breaking up my body parts individually works best for me. I do a different one 6 days a week. I vary the exercises also. I don't do the exact same ones every week. When getting ready for a competition I do cardio twice a day. I break it up into as much variety as possible on all machines.
Day 1: Legs
- Warm-up: treadmill for 10 minutes
- Bench stepups: 4 sets of 15 reps each leg
- Seated leg extensions: 4 sets of 15 reps
- Leg press: 4 sets of 15 reps
- Walking lunges (from one end of gym to the other): 4 sets
- Lying leg curls: 4 sets of 15 reps
- Standing legs curls: 4 sets of 15 reps
- Standing calf raises: 4 sets of 20 reps
- Seated calves: 4 sets of 20 reps
- Donkey calf raises: 4 sets of 20 reps
Day 2: Chest/Abs
- Chest press machine: 4 sets of 15 reps
- Incline dumbbell press: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Incline dumbbell flyes: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Cable crossover flyes: 4 sets of 15 reps
- Ab basic floor crunches: 4 sets of 30 reps
- Ball crunches: 4 sets of 30 reps
- Reverse crunches: 4 sets of 30 reps
- Broomstick twists: 4 sets of 100 reps
Day 3: Back
- Machine assisted pullups: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Lat pulldowns: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Dumbbell rows: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Lat pulldowns close-grip: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Seated rows: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Hyperextensions: 4 sets of 15 reps
Day 4: Shoulders
- Dumbbell press: 4 sets of 12 reps
- One-arm leaning side raises: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Rear delt machine: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Front raises: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Arnold presses: 4 sets of 12 reps
Day 5: Legs*This time I do high rep, high intensity routine such as:
- Jump squats: 4 sets from one end of gym to the other
- Jump lunges: 4 sets from one end of gym to the other
- Walking side lunges: 4 sets from one end of gym to the other
- Glutes to ankle squats: 4 set of 40 reps
- Cardio: 30 min on stepmill
Day 6: Arms
- Alternating dumbbell curls: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Hammer curls: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Barbell curls: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Cable curls: 4 sets of 15 reps
- Triceps cable pressdowns: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Seated machine triceps press: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Overhead rope press: 4 sets of 12 reps
- Kickbacks: 4 sets of 15 reps
Day 7: Off
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
I am one who needs carbs to maintain size and muscle while leaning out. I take carbs with every meal except my last. I drink lots of water, about 1 and 1/2 gallons a day.
- 1 1/2 scoops whey protein
- 1 brown rice cake
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 scoop whey protein
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
I take excellent multivitamins, Solgar Formula V, but I also make sure I supplement with 2 EFA capsules. Before and after workouts I take ON BCAA's and AAKG-L Arginine. At bedtime I take MetRx L glutamine and Fountain of Youth HGH Complete.
3 times daily:
- Labrada ProV60: 1-1.5 scoops
- Solgar Formula V multi: 2 tabs
- EFA capsules: 2 caps (2000mg)
Before and After Workout:
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
I always admired how the fitness girls looked in Oxygen magazine. I have gotten it for many years. But, when I started at the gym I knew that that was how I wanted to look and WOULD look. I love the overall feeling of the sense of well being that you get when you have worked hard and feel that you have accomplished something.
What Motivates You To Follow A Healthy Lifestyle?
I am truly a "better" me when I eat right, workout, and get plenty of rest. My whole mental state is different when I am on the right track and following a healthy regime.
What Made You Want To Achieve Your Goals?
I went to watch my friend compete in a bodybuilding show in 2003. That's all it took. I did my first competition in 2004 at the age of 47. I have done 15 shows since then and have done very well. I am proud of the fact that I will be 54 this year and still getting up on stage!
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
I plan to do 2 competitions this year. I also help the competitors and enjoy that as much as competing. I get so excited when someone wants to start doing it.
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
I want to say that it is most important to remember the YOU are your main competition. Your goal needs to be coming in at the very best you can be! If you do that, you have already won... regardless of your placing!
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
I have met so many and I can honestly say that they all are the greatest, most amazing group of people there are. Bodybuilders get a bad rap sometimes from the unknowing general public. But, they are some of the nicest, most helpful, sincere people there are.
What Features Do You Use On Bodybuilding.com?
I love BodySpace. I get on it every day to talk to my awesome friends. I order my supplements from the store. I have used the articles section for years to get dieting tips, supplement advice, motivation, etc. I even have a BB.Com license plate protector on my car! I'm a fan!