- Name: Cody Melton
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Age: 32
- Where: Dallas, TX
- Height: 5'8"
- Weight: 159 Contest, 180 Off
- Years Bodybuilding :4
- Favorite Bodypart: Arms
- Favorite Exercise: Bench Press
- Favorite Supplements: Scivation Xtend, Scivation VasoCharge, Scivation Whey
How Did You Get Started?
I originally got started in bodybuilding back in 2005. I was tired of being out of shape, missing workouts, going out drinking with friends and staying out late. I needed to change my life and bodybuilding was the only avenue I knew where I could do that. I'd always been passionate about working out, but never really put 100% in to living the lifestyle.
Back in college I worked out at a hardcore gym, there were always bodybuilders around prepping for shows. I had always wanted to compete, but didn't feel like I was good enough and believe it or not I wasn't a very confident person. I mean get on stage in those little trunks in front of hundreds of people, C'mon!
However several years later I found myself searching around on the internet and came across this website called Bodybuilding.com. I went to the article section and began reading. I couldn't help but to read just about every article on contest prep they had. Articles written by Derek Charlebois and Layne Norton really inspired me to take the plunge and get on stage. So needless to say I hit the gym 4-5 days a week, started doing cardio 5-6 days per week and eventually hired Layne Norton to help with my prep.
In just 11 weeks of dieting Layne turned a fat out of shape guy into and actual bodybuilder. My class was tough with 11 people. After it was all said and done I ended up placing 6th. It wasn't the outcome I hoped for, but it was the most rewarding experience of my life! Now I could actually call myself a Bodybuilder!
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
|TERMS YOU'LL NEED TO KNOW|
Day 1: Lower Body (Strength/Power)
- Barbell Squats: 6 Sets Of 3-8 Reps
- Split Squats: 4 Sets Of 6-8 Reps
- Leg Extensions: 2 Sets Of 6-8 Reps
- Stiff Leg Deadlifts: 5 Sets Of 6-8 Reps
- Standing Single Leg Curls: 3 Sets Of 6-8 Reps
- Seated Leg Curls: 3 Sets Of 8-10 Reps
- Seated Calve Raises: 4 Sets Of 8-10 Reps
- Standing Calve Raises: 4 Sets Of 8-10 Reps
Day 2: Upper Body (Strength/Power)
- Barbell Bench: 6 Sets Of 3-8 Reps
- Incline Dumbbell Bench: 2 Sets Of 6-8 Reps
- Barbell Deadlifts: 5 Sets Of 3-8 Reps
- Weighted Pull-Ups: 3 Sets Of 6-8 Reps
- Dumbbell Shoulder Press: 5 Sets Of 6-8 Reps
- Side Lateral Raises: 3 Sets Of 8-10 Reps
- Reverse Flyes: 2 Sets Of 8-10 Reps
- Hammer Curls: 4 Sets Of 6-8 Reps
- Machine Dips: 4 Sets Of 6-8 Reps
Day 3: Cardio & Abs
Day 4: Lower Body (Hypertrophy)
- Dumbbell Stiff Legged Deadlift: 4 Sets Of 12 -15 Reps
- Lying Leg Curls: 4 Sets Of 10-12 Reps
- Machine Calve Raises: 8 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
Smith Machine Squats: 4 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
Walking Lunges: 4 Sets Of 10-12 Reps
Leg Press: 4 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
Leg Extensions: 3 Sets Of 12-20 Reps
Day 5: Back & Biceps (Hypertrophy)
- Barbell Rows: 4 Sets Of 6-8 Reps
- Close Grip Pulldowns: 3 Sets Of 10-12 Reps
- Cable Rows: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Pull-Ups: 2 Sets Of Failure
- Seated Alternating Dumbbell Curls: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Hammer Curls: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Concentration Curls: 2 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
Day 6: Chest, Triceps & Shoulders (Hypertrophy)
- Dumbbell Incline Bench: 6 Sets Of 8-12 Reps
- Flat Bench: 4 Sets Of 10-12 Reps
- Incline Cable Flyes: 3 Sets Of 10 -15 Reps
- Shoulder Press: 3 Sets Of 10-12 Reps
- Seated Shoulder Lateral Raises: 3 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- French Press: 3 Sets Of 10-12 Reps
- Reverse Triceps Pressdowns: 2 Sets Of 10-15 Reps
- Bodyweight Dips: 2 Sets To Failure
Standing Rear Shoulder Flyes: 2 Sets Of 12-15 Reps
Dumbbell Standing Front Shoulder Raises: 2 Sets Of 12-15 Reps
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
Meal 1 - 6am:
- 4 Egg Whites
- 1 Piece 2% Slice Cheese
- 2 Servings Peanut Butter Puffins Cereal
- 15g Triscuits
- 1 Cup Milk
Meal 2 - 9am:
Meal 3 - Noon:
Meal 4 - 3pm:
Meal 5 - 4:30pm (Pre-Workout):
- 2-3 Scoops Scivation Vasocharge
Meal 6 - During Workout:
- 4 Scoops Scivation Extend
Meal 7 - 7pm:
Meal 8 - 9:30pm:
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
I mainly use Scivation Products. With the given research supporting the benefits of additional BCAAs, Scivation Extend gives me the ability to recover from strenuous workouts while helping me add lean mass. I also like Scivation VasoCharge for my pre-workout energy boost. It has an ample amount of Beta-alanine and creatine which research has shown to increase strength in trained males. In addition to these products I also take 2g of vitamin C per day, 3g of fish oil, and a multivitamin.
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
Bodybuilding is my passion and my release from life's challenges. Bodybuilding has really changed my life, the way I think and the way I live. Bodybuilding is a sport where you can not only challenge yourself each day, but also compete with others around you. I love living the bodybuilding lifestyle and being an example for all those around me including family, friends and co-workers. It gives me the ability to change lives by showing that even an average person with average genetics can succeed if you put forth the effort.
I like to think of myself as an ordinary person with average genetics that has with extraordinary effort, passion and that I will become an above average bodybuilder. Train hard, train smart and don't leave anything in the gym. I absolutely love throwing around heavy weights and the feeling of adrenaline pumping as I walk up to the bar loaded with 45 pound plates. There's nothing like it! I continue to motivate myself by thinking back to something 2 Pac said, "It's me against the world baby".
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
I just competed in November 2008 in the Texas State Championships where I placed 1st in the Novice Lightweight Division and in the Lackland Bodybuilding Classic where I placed 3rd in the Open Lightweight Division. I plan on competing in the same shows again in 2010. My wife and I just had our first child December 6th of 2008. So I want to take some time off from competing and spend time with him. Plus I feel I need another year to add some needed mass to really make a run for a top spot. Hopefully I can come back to challenge for a place at the NPC Team Universe in 2010.
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
Don't let anyone out work you in the gym, and make every set and rep count. Always be consistent with your nutrition and workouts. Keep your workouts intense and know with time your hard work will pay off. Be patient!
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
Choosing my favorite bodybuilder? Man, that's pretty difficult. I really like Dennis Wolf, very aesthetic physique with huge legs and a small waist! I also really like Branch Warren (Dallas Native), his intensity and passion for game really inspires me. I can't fail to mention Layne Norton, I've followed his progress for many years and he continues to inspire me with his work ethic and knowledge. Layne is a true bodybuilder in every sense of the word.