- Name: Barry Thomas
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Age: 61
- Where: Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, UK
- Height: 5' 2"
- Weight: 140 Lbs.
- Years Bodybuilding :40
- Favorite Bodypart: Chest
- Favorite Exercise: Dumbbell Press
- Favorite Supplements: ASN - Protein (Whey and Meal replacement), Vit C, Multivitamins, Ginkgo Biloba and Ginseng.
How Did You Get Started?
I have always been interested in gaining muscle from an early age but there was no opportunity or gym locally where I could train. Only when I first started teaching - I found some weights and started to train there. At the start I made good progress and went from 133 lbs to 154 lbs., a weight which I held for over 30 years constantly.
The nature of the job prevented me from making any more progress but since I retired in 2002 I decided to train more seriously. I managed to get my weight up to over 160 lbs when I changed gyms. After only a few weeks there I was encouraged to enter a local contest and rapidly dieted from 160 lbs down to about 130 lbs.
View My BodySpace Profile: bodyspace.bodybuilding.com/bazthomas.
What Workout Plan Worked Best For You?
I am a great believer in warm-ups and will do 3 warm-up sets for the first body part - say the bench press.
- Tips: Lie on a flat bench and firmly position your feet flat on the floor a little more than shoulder width apart. Keep your back flat on the bench! Using a grip broader than shoulder width, hold the barbell above your body, then lower slowly to the middle of your chest. Without bouncing the weight off your chest, drive the barbell up over the middle of your chest until your arms are straight and your elbows are locked. Lower the bar down slowly.
Learn More About This Exercise: View Full Guide
Then I will do 2 to 3 sets of about 6 - 10 reps to failure. I will then do a further 2 to 3 sets on another exercise for chest. I train each body part about once a week and at the moment do about 4 days on and one day off. Usually I do:
Sample Training Week:
- Day 1 - Chest and Triceps
- Day 2 - Legs and Calves
- Day 3 - Back and Biceps
- Day 4 - Shoulders, Abs and Traps.
I try and change the exercise and don't train the same body part on the same day.
What Nutrition Plan Has Worked Best For You?
- Breakfast - Oatmeal, Meal replacement and vitamins
- Meal replacement
- Lunch - chicken and rice or potato
- Meal replacement
- Dinner - chicken or fish and veg with potato or rice
- Whey protein
What Supplements Have Given You The Greatest Gains?
Why do you love Bodybuilding?
It keeps me in very good shape to the extent that many people many years younger wish they could be in the same condition. It helps me to be very lively - I am much more active than most 60 year olds. I feel absolutely great and am still able to do those activities such as hill walking, snow skiing, water skiing, etc., without any trouble at all.
What Are Your Future Bodybuilding Plans?
At the moment I have competed in 6 competitions and have been improving my placings. I would like to make the Britain finals in the over 50's class.
What One Tip Would You Give Other Bodybuilders?
I cannot recommend the lifestyle more strongly. Regular exercise and decent nutrition will certainly keep you active for much longer than those people who don't exercise and eat badly.
Who Are Your Favorite Bodybuilders?
New Contest Available At Bodybuilding.com:
Over 40 Transformations - We are now looking for submissions for our new over 40 transformation of the week. Do you think you qualify? Let us know. If you are interested please go to the following page:
|Calling All Over 40 Amateurs!|